EL DIARIO INTERNACIONAL NUMBER 35 - Actions of the People's War

hariette spierings hariette at easynet.co.uk
Fri Aug 30 18:26:30 MDT 1996


We begin today to deliver the new edition (Number 35) of El Diario
The following is the first article summarising the recent offensive of the
People's Guerilla Army during July and August 1996.

Committee Sol Peru - London
Press Commission

The military actions of the Maoist guerillas during the month of July
exposed the fragile defence capabilities of the Peruvian state and, once
again demonstrated that the revolutionary forces under the leadership of the
Communist Party of Peru (PCP) are fully recuperated.  The ridiculous
propaganda endlessly spread about the "defeat of the Shining Path" has been
blown away like so much cheap smoke.

Fujimori himself, who banged on as a broken record about finishing off the
rebellion by July 1995 has began to publicly admit his fears for the failure
of his policies and his anti-insurgency schemes. The same day of the
explosions in Lima, and bordering on hysteria, he declared: "the terrorists
wanted to take our police and armed forces by surprise".

On the other hand, those analysts and "senderologists" singing in choir with
the government and embroidering countless fairy tales "demonstrating" that
the rebels were "in their last legs" attempted to swing public opinion to
the view that the Maoist guerilla had been reduced to "terrorist leftovers".
These worthies have just recently added a new phrase to their
stock-in-trade. They are now speaking of  "rebirth of subversive action" in
describing the current activities of the guerillas.

The most recent guerilla actions, principally those in Lima and Alto
Huallaga, have forced these propagandists of "the defeat of the Shining
Path" to introduce some changes into their script. Even the Peruvian press,
while implementing the government's disinformation campaign, has been forced
to loudly vent its fears and to shout from the rooftops its doubts on the
effectiveness of the armed forces' anti-insurgency policy.


Two spectacular action in less than 48 hours, - inside the very heart of the
capital - signalled the beginning of one of the greatest urban offensives of
the Maoist guerillas this year.  The first rebel action was on July 26 and
directed against the  Headquarters of the Assault Police (Riot Police)
located in Abancay Avenue, just a few blocks away from the government palace
where Fujimori resides. In this action the rebels detonated a car-bomb
loaded with over 50 kilograms of dynamite.  The violent explosion left the
police bunker in ruins.  The 12 fighters of the guerilla unit, moving around
very calmly,  were able to withdraw after this lightning attack without
suffering casualties in their ranks.

The next attack, and the one to have had the greatest political impact, took
place on July 29. It was an attack on the luxury villa of General Manuel
Varela Gamarra, the Politico-Military Commander in Chief of the Huallaga
Front.  In this raid the Maoists used more than 20 kilograms of dynamite
which were placed in the high ranking officer's own vehicle.  The villa
where this military chieftain lives is located in San Borja (a district of
Lima). The General's house, and 48 other luxury houses were devastated by
the explosion.  According to the government, material damages were very high
and among the houses affected was that of the regime's current ambassador in
France, Maria Luisa Federici.

General Manuel Varela Gamarra, has been indicted by the Communist Party of
Peru (PCP), of being a drug-dealer and bearing responsibility for brutal
crimes against the civilian population in the Alto Huallaga region. He is
regarded as one of the most bloodthirsty military chiefs of the Fujimori
era.  In the scene of the attack, the rebels distributed thousands of
leaflets taking credit for the action and stating that "the genocidal police
and military criminals will be punished".

These two guerilla attacks we have briefly described, had the effect of an
earthquake rocking the military and the police to the highest levels..
Immediately after the rebel action against the residence of this high
ranking military officer, the government fired the chief of the
Anti-terrorist Police (DINCOTE)  PNP General Carlos Dominguez Solis, whom
they accused of  negligence and having been "caught napping".  General
Dominguez, a close associate of Fujimori,  had served three years as Chief
of DINCOTE. He was appointed to substitute  General Ketin Vidal after the
capture of the leader of the Maoist guerilla.

Both these attacks, the raid of the Riot Squad headquarters and the
demolition of the residence of the high ranking army officer, are an
infallible indicator to gauge the degree of organisation and strength of the
PCP.  We should point out that in the time frame these actions took place,
Lima, had been turned into an armed camp.  Inside the city nearly 120
thousand members of the police, armed forces and secret services were out in
force.  The reason for all this military display was to keep the lid on the
masses for the days of July 27 to  29, the holiday season for Peruvian
"independence" day.

It is important to bear in mind that strategically guerillas never attack
when the enemy is in full alert.  The actions in these July days in Lima,
the capital of Peru, are therefore exceptional, and constitute
unchallengeable proof of the strength of the Maoist forces.


When the government believed the worst was over with the demolishing attacks
in Lima, the Maoist guerillas began carrying out daring attacks in
Huancavelica and in the Alto Huallaga region. In both fronts, the People's
Liberation Army (PLA), mobilised  numerous columns, some composed of 200 and
300 guerrilla fighters equipped with modern weapons.


The story of these actions is taken from the Peruvian  magazine Caretas
Number 1426. We are here transcribing parts of these report. "July 29, 1996.
9 pm.  In the road from Palpa to Huancavelica, a group of some 2O
subversives intercepted two passenger buses on their way to the capital of
Huancavelica department. One of the buses with all its passengers is taken
to the township of Charcapuquio and on the way they overreach the campsite
where the construction companies working on the paving of the road between
Izcuchaca and Huancavelica are based.

500 metres down the road they park the bus across the highway blockading it
and then return towards the camp.  It is the Holiday and there are only a
few people working. Workers and employees were out visiting their families.
Other guerilla detachments start appearing in the hills in a synchronised
fashion and around 50 men seize the offices of, Translei and T&T, the
building companies.  The closest police post, in Huando, is 30 minutes
away..." (Caretas 1426, first week of August edition).

The guerrillas stayed for three hours in this camp. During that time they
assembled the local population and explained to them the current situation
in the People's War. The Maoist political commissar said:  "These actions
are undertaken in defence of the working class, and their solid success
demonstrate that the Party continues to develop the People's War".

Before evacuating the camp, the guerillas dynamited the main installations
of the construction companies. According to the witness reports published in
Caretas, "most of the guerillas were young, well armed and well drilled in
military discipline and tactics, they had taken up positions in all the
camp's exits, and they placed their demolition charges with the necessary
precision to achieve their objectives".

The destruction of the installations of these construction companies is
because these are enterprises directly linked to the corrupt Fujimori
clique.  Also, the bosses of the road construction companies are considered
by the working class as ruthless exploiters of the labouring people.

AUCAYACU. Alto Huallaga.

Friday August 2, 1996.  A 300 strong guerilla column seized the district of
Aucayacu in Huanuco department occupying it for 5 hours.  Aucayacu, a city
with a population of around 20.000 is one of the principal towns in the Alto
Huallaga region. The guerrillas occupied the town from 7 pm till midnight.

The military action to seize control of this city began with a tactical
disposition which surrounded and rendered impotent the police barracks in
the centre of the city. The People's Liberation Army (PLA) column did not
have to do very much to defeat all the efforts of the government troops to
break out of the trap.  As the Peruvian media reported in panic, the
guerillas "practically spared the lives of the police forces that tried to
break out from their impotent situation.  They kept them pinned down while
other guerillas got on with their other tasks".

The Peruvian press, unable to cover up this action of the Maoist guerillas
reported that the rebel fighters entered the city on three sides and that
were carrying modern weaponry, such as recoilless rifles and self-propelled
grenade launchers, heavy anti-aircraft machine guns and sophisticated
communications equipment.  According to eye witness reports published by
Caretas (1426), the guerilla fighters, mostly young people, were possessed
of very high morale: "they seemed in high spirits, some were even joking
with the locals and asking them what they thought of their presence that day
since, according to Fujimori, they were supposed to have been dead long ago".


Other articles in this edition still to come:

"Demolishing Actions of the People's War - A Timetable of Actions of the
People's Liberation Army"

"The Phoney "New" El Diario Published by Fujimori"

"The Manual of the Perfect Impostor"

"Who is Mr. Quispe"

"The counterfeit MPPs"

"World Mobilisation Commission"

We shall continue to publish them in this list as soon as they are translated.

CSP - London
Press Commission

     --- from list marxism at lists.village.virginia.edu ---

More information about the Marxism mailing list