Corporate problems with contingent (temp) workers

Scott Marshall scott at rednet.org
Thu Feb 1 21:21:44 MST 1996

Boddhisatva:
>	Certainly capitalists are always trying to maximize profit.  My point
>was that when they have so alienated labor that they must attempt to directly
>reduce alienation through "team" approaches. etc., they are on the verge of
>admitting they were wrong.

Scott:

Find me a cpaitlaist that understands teams in terms of minimizing
alienation. What you say above presupposes they look at it this way - they
don't. They see teams as the best way to get the workers to contribute their
knowledge and experience willingly without compensation to the goal of
greater profit. This I know from experience in companies who sought to use
the team concept. They consciously see it also as a union busting scheme to
weaken solidarity and class identity politics on the shop floor.

Boddhisatva:

>Of course seniority is
>actually a system of favoritism.  It is rationally based on the idea that
>more experienced workers create more value, and the idea that more senior
>workers are "backbones of society" and thus should be supported in keeping
>with their greater social responsibilities.

Scott:

This may be what corporate suite seniority is all about, but it's not what
union seniority is about. On the shop floor seniority is to attempt to place
*limits* on the companies ability to play favorites. Senority is by no means
a perfect vehicle - ie: it often must be modified to prevent the 'hardening'
of past discrimination patterns. But it is a useful tool in preventing the
boss from 'rewarding' the company favorites and to protect union members.