Colin Powell as Bonapartist

Jon Flanders 72763.2240 at compuserve.com
Thu Feb 1 22:13:57 MST 1996

Louis. >> We are not in anywhere as deep a crisis as Germany was in the
1920's, but as class confrontation continues to deepen, keep your eyes on
 Perot, Powell, etc. Figures like these will begin to play more and more
important roles, especially as the two capitalist parties' class base continue
to erode. <<

  Very good point. In this vein what do we make of the rise of Steven Forbes,
now leading in N. Hampshire? One of the most maddening discussions I can have
on the shop floor is over something like the flat tax. It has an immediate
appeal for most workers, because it plays to their gut instinct that they are
getting screwed(which they are) while at the same time diverting attention
from the assault on wages and the declining tax burden of the rich.

  I counter in these discussions with the necessity of a steep graduated
income tax on the wealthy. There is an uneasy agreement, perhaps, but such a
thing ever happening seems utopian, on some other planet. An employed worker
will want to think about a possible tax break resulting from the flat tax, not
all the other undesirable results.

  It does seem to me that various forms of bonapartism will become more
popular. The simple, classless formulas of a Forbes or a Perot resonate with a
worker who simply wants to live normally, reserving complex analyis for the
latest NFL contest. I have told my co-workers more than once that when they
start apply their analytical skills to their economic and political situation
with the same zest and insight they display on Mondays around the coffee pot
between track 3 and 4, the hour of liberation will be at hand.

 Best, Jon Flanders

  E-mail from: Jonathan E. Flanders, 01-Feb-1996