I am not resigning

g.maclennan at qut.edu.au g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Sat Feb 3 18:24:08 MST 1996

Comrades,

I aplogise for posting on this issue.  I have read thru and hear clearly
those who want it all to end.  People I respect and love in the cyber way
have urged resignation or resigned themselves.

Everything about me wants to follow their lead.  I do not need
aggravation in my life.  The wars Jerry has unleashed against the mods has
pushed me at least once to the edge.

But I was asked to be a moderator and I said yes for a trial period of
three months. I will stand by that commitment.  On a self moderating
list this simply means that there will be a group of people who will
take upon themselves the explicit task of thinking about the list in a
meta way.

I am deply committed to the list.  I think personally it could play a
role in the coming struggles.  I do not know how, but I feel in my heart
that it is something valuable and worth preserving.

Oscar Wilde once wrote "All men kill the thing they love."  I have never
really understood this until now.  Jerry seems to me to be locked int
this syndrome.  I have tried to reason with him , but he is beached
somewhere on a world beyond my reach.

So I will continue liasing with Bryan, Chris, Tom and others about
the list.  I will put as much energy as I have into helping people get
the Cuba seminar off the ground.

Jerry now will snip and flame over this.  that is his perogative.  I will
exercise mine by requesting him to cease writing to me off list as a
moderator and by deleting all contributions with his header.  That is sad
but I fear necessary.

Regards

Gary