Boys and girls come out to play

Marcus Strom MSTROM at nswtf.org.au
Mon Feb 5 10:27:43 MST 1996

Gary

I'm glad you brought this up.

As you may know, I work for the NSW teachers federation. Our womens'
coordinator and our research officers are doing work on this very
issue. They / we are strongly resisting the feminist bashing.
Interestingly, our outgoing deputy president made an interesting
observation.

He said that the main reason why there is not too much fuss being
made is because the class divide is not being broken. There was a
report in the Sydney Morning Herald (major bourgeois paper in Sydney)
that said that the average of girls' results from the north shore of
Sydney (rich part of town) was 20% higher than boys from west and
south west Sydney (working class areas).

This was just let through to the 'keeper. He said imagine if it was
the other way around, that girls from SW and W Sydney were getting
20% more than boys from N Sydney? Or if boys from western Sydney got
20% more than the northern girls? In his words there'd be a fucking
royal commission (highest legal investigation in the land - we are
still a monarchy).

These are the issues that need to be looked at, which I doubt is
beyond the ken of the Green Left Weekly, they'd alienate their base.

Yes, we must look at the way boys and girls are constructed in
australia in a strong class sense. The education area is one of the
strongest areas of class warfare. The state poors money into
subsidising private schools and ignores this whole debate, or calls
it a feminist plot. The problem is that much of 'feminist analysis'
of this issue is so middle class it's not funny. That's why people
have problems getting any handle on it.

Success in working class culture in Australia for boys is strongly
associated with sport or a trade. Me and my sister are the first people in my
fathers side to have gone to university - ever. My cousins can't
understand why they all have mortgages, a car, the older ones a small
fishing boat and a million kids (my dads side is catholic). My
cousin Kevin is the shop steward at Arnotts Biscuits - this is
succes, all the boys play football (rugby league - known here as the greatest
game of all).

I am more familiar with these pressures on boys. My female cousins
are either successful by having great kids who manage to stay out of
trouble with the cops, or to have a career. This takes getting an
education.

These issues of processes of class composition, class identity and
the construction of gender identies of working class kids. In one
sense, I don't give a toss about the kids from the north shore (well,
the ruling class kids anyway) I went to uni with them, and most of
them are fuckwits.

There is an interesting book on these issues by a sociologist from
Wollongong University - Mike Donaldson. I can't remember the exact
title (Something, something: Life, labour and Love of the working
class).

Any ideas out there?
Marcus