"Stalinist Terror: New Perspectives"

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Mon Feb 12 15:20:08 MST 1996

I have refrained from participating in the discussion with Stalin's
defenders, and I still decline to debate with flat-earthers. But since
Chris brought up my endorsement of Getty's work, which suggests lower
"excess mortality" than normally attributed to Stalin and his policies, I
feel obliged to reiterate that I do not think this this research
execulpates Stalin. It just shows that he was a less terrific
mass-murderer than we had thought. But a mass-murderer he remains, as well
as a brutal tyrant and savage dictator, someone who set back our cause far
more than many of his capitalist opponents. --Justin Schwartz