Negri's Marxism

Bradley Mayer concrete at netcom.com
Fri Feb 16 02:03:19 MST 1996

End of msg from M. Strom:

>I respect Negri immensely. He is one of the few academics who are
>actually activists and not armchair revolutionaries. However, I think
>that at the end of the day, his stance is petit bourgeois. It has a
>'abolish work' stance, rather than 'abolish the wages system' which was
>Marx's slogan. The difference is profound.
>
>Any bites?

Here's a small nibble. Your observations on Negri show a lot of common sense.
My experience with Negri was contained in _Labor of Dionysus_, a sort of
partial anthology of his writings from the 70's to the 90's, organized
around the theme of the "critique of the State-Form". I had picked up the
book with some high hopes, only to have them dashed against an almost
inpenetrable maze of less than usefull theoreticisms. One simple idea
lies behind it all: that the reproduction of the wage relation is
lies increasingly at the foundation of the modern bourgeois state -
agreeable enough.  Unfortunately, as one progresses through the book, the
corrosive effects of "postmodern-think" are all to evident in Negri (and
his co-author, Michael Hardt). Has there ever been a more pernicious
poison unleashed upon the human brain as that of postmodern ideology? I
think it may, in fact, be a kind of virus...

Negri is no doubt an honest revolutionary, but his theory combined with
autonomism smack too much of quasi-Hegalian "immanentism".

			-Brad Mayer