McCarthyism, Buchananism and Fascism

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Sat Feb 17 06:24:49 MST 1996

On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, Bradley Mayer wrote:

> Unfortunately, I lack the time right now to pursue this pressing subject,
> but wwe need to pick up this fascism thread again soon in order to more
> fully explain the present situation.

Louis: This weekend I will begin work on a postmortem on McCarthyism.
McCarthyism, according to both Trotskyism and the CPUSA, *was* fascism. I
have a different appreciation of what was going on in the 1950s, and
although I don't usually engage in hindsight analysis, will try to put
forward a counter-analysis to the SWP and CPUSA. I will also try to
extend this into a framework for understanding ultrarightism today.