Negri, Spinoza

J Laari jlaari at cc.jyu.fi
Sat Feb 17 08:25:59 MST 1996

On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, Bryan A. Alexander wrote:

> Two questions:
> 1. Why jettison the state/civil society distinction?
> 2. What do you all make of Marx's concrete use of Spinoza, hm?

1. I'm not.

2. Don't know. I think it would take some time to find out about that.
Spinoza don't pop up particularly often in the writings of Marx. 'Old
Engels' wrote explicitly more (than Marx) about Sp.? Jokingly: there's
more editors' than author's remarks on Spinoza - you remember all those
"great Dutch 17th century materialist" and "great materialist
philosopher" in Marx-Engels volumes? In a sense, as a rule of thumb, I'd
say that Marx took materialism from Spinoza and dialectics from Hegel,
and then fused them together. But that's oversimplification.

Yours, Jukka L