Materialism

HANS DESPAIN HANS.DESPAIN at m.cc.utah.edu
Sat Feb 17 18:26:12 MST 1996

Jerry, it has been a while since i have formally studied the Young
Hegelians, but i remain very interested these thinkers.

Below, Jerry asks for a source of, i believe specifically, Feuerbach's
reading of *Capital*.  I will have to search for the specific reference i
have in mind.  However, there are a number (four, five, or six) of
excellent books on the Young Hegelians.  Two of the best are David
McLellan's *The Young Hegelians and Karl Marx* (1969), and Sidney Hook's
*From Hegel to Marx* (1950).  Also there is a Journal which held a
"symposium" of sorts on the Young Hegelians, this is quite old, but very
very good (does any remember or know this journal?).

However, the specific reference probably comes from Eugene Kamenka's book
*The Philosophy of Ludwig Feuerbach* (1970).  Moreover, he has the
"Feuerbach" entry in *A Dictionary of Marxist Thought* 2nd ed. which
briefly menitons this point: "In 1868 he [Feuerbach] read Marx's *Capital*
and praised it for its exposure of horrible, inhuman conditions; in 1870 he
joined the Social Democratic Party" (p. 197).

i do not know of any of these above authors emphasizing Feuerbach's
relational sociology; however, the relational sociology of Marx is often
understood to be rooted in Hegel.  It seems to me that this is a theme
that is first brought forth in a materialist (and\or humanist) form by
Feuerbach, as i suggested in my previous post.

And (from memory) usually it is explained that Marx returns to Hegel, to
critique Feuerbach's naturalistic humanism.  i want to suggest that
although Feuerbach has this tendency of a naturalistic human nature, the
seeds of a relational approach are also provided by Feuerbach.

hans despain
University of Utah
despain at econ.sbs.utah.edu