Censorship and evasions

glevy at acnet.pratt.edu glevy at acnet.pratt.edu
Sun Feb 18 00:30:11 MST 1996

Kevin Cabral wrote:

> Anyways, since we're not going to sensor anything I will
> reply in the style of Elsequin:
-------------------
The issue is a POLITICAL one: When we find something objectionable in
another's posts, do we threaten that person by saying that we will ask
the POSTMASTER, the NET PROVIDER, or the GOVERNMENT to censor that
person's posts?
-------------------
How many times do I have to remind you that the FORCES OF REACTION want
to see censorship on the Net for EXACTLY the reason you suggest (i.e.
"obscenity")? If they win that battle what will *they* censor NEXT?
-------------------
All of this has a historic and a political context. Elsequin is a jerk,
sure. But, STALINISTS have historically violated the CIVIL LIBERTIES of
those whom they disagreed with and have even supported repression against
their opponents by the BOURGEOIS STATE. This is a violation of an
important PRINCIPLE -- NO MATTER HOW MUCH WE OBJECT TO THE WORDS OF
OTHERS ON THE LEFT, WE SHOULD NOT USE THE STATE TO REPRESS THEIR
PERSPECTIVES.
You are playing right into the hands of Buchanan and the "Moral
Majority." If WE, i.e. the l*st, censored someone's posts, that would be
DIFFERENT from asking (especially in the current political context) the
NET PROVIDER (i.e. Postmaster) to censor someone.

Jerry