South Africa

peter dwyer P.Dwyer at uea.ac.uk
Tue Feb 20 12:20:15 MST 1996

I am a first year Ph.D. student in the School of Development Studies at the University of East Anglia (UEA).
I am researching the role of civil society (CS) in South Africa.  Behind the arguments about CS are theorisations about  the
social dynamics of change in society.  As someone interested in 'Marxism' I see the working class as the dynamic of change
in SA but what I want to do is look at the ways of harnessing this social dynamic & organising it to effect change.  This will
involve discussing all the 'post-marxist' works on new social movemnts & civil society etc.
Initially, I was going to focus on the role of civic associations in SA but they seem mainly to have collapsed, so I may now
focus on the role of the labour movement & the tripartite alliance of the ANC/COSATU/SACP.

If you know of anyone who may like to speak to me or willing to offer advice/reference material I would be very grateful
if you would forward my details to them

Fraternal Greetings
Peter Dwyer