fascism, buchanan, etc.

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Thu Feb 22 09:06:35 MST 1996

On Tue, 20 Feb 1996, Bradley Mayer wrote:

> militias, etc., "have always been with us".  Today's militia movement has
> experienced a rapid growth in only the last few years, and rightwing
> populism, if taken to its logical conclusion today, can only lead to
> fascism. Why? Because the economic crisis we are experiencing today is
> more severe than even those of the 1930's or 1880's in one key respect:
> in its unrelenting permanence.  For the American bourgeoisie and the
> population at large, this is a situation unpreceedented in its history.

Louis: We are experiencing an economic crisis worse than the 1930s? This
statement can be borne out neither in terms of unemployment statistics or
any other significant economic measurement. Wouldn't it be more accurate
to say that capitalism is restructuring? In some areas, investment is
declining while in others it is expanding. China is experiencing one of
the most rapid growth rates of any nation since WWII.

I certainly don't have the competence to explain what is happening
economically all in all, but the term "crisis" without further
explanation seems inadequate.