rape / heterosex

Tom Condit tomcondit at igc.apc.org
Thu Feb 22 12:51:05 MST 1996

I think Jerry misunderstands Lisa's use of the term "legal/marital
rape". Lisa is not saying that the institution of marriage equals
rape, but is confronting the fact that until recently (and still
probably in most of the world) it was unquestioned that a husband had
a "right" to his wife's "sexual favors" and could therefore commit
acts which outside of marriage would be called rape in order to
exercise that right. Like the "right" to beat one's wife, this is a
"right" which is rapidly being overturned. (I hope.)

Tom