VERBAL ABUSE/OBSCENITY

glevy at acnet.pratt.edu glevy at acnet.pratt.edu
Sun Feb 25 09:25:59 MST 1996

Karl:

What is obscenity?

* If a neo-Nazi skinhead invaded our li*st and said -- in oh so polite
language -- how the Holocost never happened or that white people are
superior, would you call that an obscenity? I would.

* If some "Marxist" says that Stalin was a great revolutionary leader and
claims that there were no "killing fields" in Kampuchea and that the
killing of leftists is "popular justice", would you call that obscenity?
I would.

* If someone says: "YOU STUPID ASSHOLE. YOU DUMB SHIT. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT
THE FUCK YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT", would you call that obscenity? I would
call it poor writing.

So, Karl: Don't get so hung-up about some four-letter words. Politically,
you only align yourself with the "Moral Majority" and others who would
like to prevent "obscenity" on the Net. Now, I grant you that the use of
certain words doesn't encourage political dialogue. However, it seems to
me to be *far less* obscene that either of the first two scenarios
described above.

Jerry