Militias

Noel Ignatiev ignatiev at husc.harvard.edu
Tue Feb 27 04:38:29 MST 1996

Following is an editorial from the winter 1996 issue of RACE TRAITOR:
JOURNAL OF THE NEW ABOLITIONISM.  Race Traitor is available from PO Box
603, Cambridge, MA 02140.  Sub (4 issues) $20; single copy (postpaid) $6.

EDITORIAL: AUX ARMES!
FORMEZ VOS BATAILLONS!

      Time was one might have expected opponents of
official society to welcome a grassroots movement
arming to defend individual liberties against feder-
al encroachment.  Contrary to such expectations,
many who are pleased to locate themselves on the
"left" have raised a cry of alarm at the militia
movement surpassing even that from government cir-
cles.
      A flyer published by an Oregon group calling
itself "Communities Against Hate" seeks to warn the
public about the militia movement.  "Blood will be
spilled in the streets of America," it quotes one
militia leader saying.
      People join militias for various reasons,
explains the flyer: "They see the violence at Waco,
Texas or the incident between white supremacist
Randy Weaver and federal officials and believe they
too will be attacked; others see the ban on assault
weapons in 1994 as a sure sign that the Federal
Government is out to subvert the Constitution."
      "The Government did make mistakes at Waco and
with Randy Weaver," admits the flyer.  So the incin-
eration of eighty people and the assassination of a
woman and child by federal officials are "mistakes,"
when they happen to people these opponents of "hate"
disagree with.
      But the militias are paranoid, we are told.
"They believe that there will be an armed confronta-
tion with the Federal Government sooner or later.
Militias say that our [our?] government and the
United Nations are going to create the New World
Order, where Americans will be slaves to interna-
tional bankers and if you resist, militia leaders
claim, you'll be hauled away to a concentration
camp."
      If the authors of the flyer expect these views
to turn us against the militias, they will be disap-
pointed.  So far we have agreed with the opinions
cited above.
      But the militia movement was initiated by
militant white supremacists, insists the flyer.  We
do not doubt it; certainly, white supremacist groups
exercise considerable influence within it.  Why
should anyone be surprised?  White supremacy is
rampant in this society, and militant white suprem-
acists seek to establish their hegemony within
popular movements.  But we note that Michigan, home
of reputedly the strongest militia in the country,
was the scene of one of Jesse Jackson's greatest
electoral triumphs, and we bet that many militia
members voted for him in 1984.  One thing for sure:
the law-and-order stance of the so-called anti-
racists can only reinforce white supremacist influ-
ence.
      The flyer advises us, "The key to protecting
the rights and civil liberties of all Americans does
not lie in forming armed paramilitary groups who
want to take the law into their own hands."
      We can think of no better way.
      The conventional "left," however, seeks pro-
tection elsewhere.  Consider a recent fundraising
letter from the Southern Poverty Law Center, which
claims to have "the most extensive computerized
files on militias and hate groups in existence,"
including over 11,000 photographs, reports on 14,000
individuals, and intelligence on over 3,200 groups.
The SPLC boasts of having written to Attorney Gener-
al Janet Reno in October 1994, before the Oklahoma
City bombing, warning her of impending illegal,
violent activity by white supremacist groups.  It
publishes Intelligence Report, which goes out regu-
larly to over 6,000 law enforcement agencies.
      Does this snooping and snitching foreshadow
the brave new world they seek to build?
      The SPLC says it has no interest in stopping
groups with unpopular views, or interfering with
"legitimate" shooting clubs.  It merely seeks to
stop "unauthorized" militias.  But if "unauthorized"
militias are repressed, the only armed groups re-
maining will be the "authorized" ones.
      We think it was Dwight Macdonald who said that
what gave him hope for the future of this country
was the deeply ingrained tradition of lawlessness.
Of course the militia movement carries danger as
well as promise.  But it has done more to shatter
the image of government invulnerability than any
other development of recent times.  Like the Los
Angeles Rebellion and the  "wigger" phenomenon, it
represents a rebellion against the massive, face-
less, soul-destroying system that is sucking the
life out of ordinary people in this country and
around the world.
      From its first issue, Race Traitor has insist-
ed that only the vision of a new world can compete
with the fascists for the loyalty of those angry
whites who think that nothing less than a total
change is worth fighting for.  Abolitionists must
draw a line between themselves and the "loyal oppo-
sition."  If they fail to do so, they will not be
heard.