NOI demographics

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Tue Feb 27 09:18:57 MST 1996

Louis: Ralph is quite correct on this. The classical fascist movements do
incorporate the lumpen proletariat and the petty-bourgeosie and I guess I
haven't really given this as much thought as it deserves. It should be
said, however, that Malcolm X came out of the lumpen proletariat, into
the leadership of the Nation of Islam in the 50s, where he started his
development as one of the great revolutionaries of the modern era.

Ralph, of course, will be the first to tell you that
Malcolm X was a horrible reactionary nationalist who sold out black
people. On this question he stands shoulder to shoulder with the
Spartacist League and every other sectarian Trotskyite outfit.