THE YOUNG HEGELIANS

Hans Despain DESPAIN at econ.sbs.utah.edu
Wed Feb 28 10:41:53 MST 1996

i spent a few hours searching for this journal and could not find it.
i am beginning to doubt myself.  but i will try in again in a few
weeks.

Ralph have you read Stepelevich Young Hegelians?  This is one that i
have not seen.  i liked very much his little book on Hegel's Preface
(postface) to the Phenomenology, but in that he claims to be a
"Stirner Hegelian" i wonder what his book on the Young Hegelians must
be like.  Surely it would be quite useful in constrast to the a half
dozen Marxian perspective books.

Maybe we can "slowly" go at this in the next while.  Feuerbach and
the Young Hegelians are always in the back of my mind, and i always
mean to get back to them.

Ralph, besides the books you listed by Feuerbach avalible in English
is his *Faith According to Luther* this was a sort of appendix to his
*Essence of Christianity*.

i will have to take a look at Kamenka's book, but surely his point
here pivots on the dialectic itself.  In my previous post i attempted
to suggest that this as something to do with dialectic as *process*,
specially a social process.

But dialectic is also a method.  Marx is critical of Feuerbach, on
both accounts.  That is Feuerbach does not emphasize the
(1) sociological character of human beings and knowledge itself; but
more, (2) the mind is very much at issue in how we know what we know;
that is the reflective side of the mind, monitoring the monitor(ing),
or dialectic proper.

This is the critique emphasized by Engles -- Feuerbach never
asks why Christianity of all religions is the religion in existence
during the particular time and place it exists.  This is a
dialectical or transcendental question of what are the conditions
necessary for the existence of Christianity.

In this sense it has to do with (1) sociology of human beings, (2)
epistemology, and (3) the well-being or emancipation of human beings.

Also, it is especially the (right) Hegelians that still charge
Feuerbach with not understanding or employing Hegel's dialectic
properly.  If this is Kamenka's point, this should not necessarily be
placed on Marx, his problem with Feuerbach seems more subtle (and
important).  If Marx did imply such a critique, i agree with Ralph he
more often is in praise of the German tradition, including
especially Feuerbach.

hans despain
University of Utah
despain at econ.sbs.utah.edu