On "entrepreneur" (and MS)

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Thu Feb 1 14:10:33 MST 1996

On Thu, 1 Feb 1996, Louis N Proyect wrote:

> Your trouble is that your understanding of "planned economies" seems to
> dependent on Alec Nove's saturnine version of what took place in the
> USSR. A revolution took place. This is lost on people like Nove and Sam
> Farber. Revolutions unleash people's creative and "opportunity seeking"
> talents the way that capitalism never can.

Louis, give me some credit. I don't get my Soviet history potted from
Nove. I've studied it on my own and even published in respecxted left
journals on Soviet politics and history. I agree, and so does Sam, I know,
that revolutions can unleash people's creativity. That's one reason we
like them. In Russia, though, for a complex set of reasons, the people who
ended up on top decided that popular self-determination had gone too far
and had to be squelched, and the circumstances allowed them to follow
through with this.  --jks