Cuba seminar: proposal

glevy at acnet.pratt.edu glevy at acnet.pratt.edu
Fri Feb 2 09:52:56 MST 1996

Bryan A. Alexander wrote:

> 	How?  If folks think I can do the job, I'll try to set up some
> sort of syllabus and schedule for reading, based on popular consensus and
> advice.  I promise not to use the seminar to attack any other thread, but
> will try to keep discussion vigorous.

I will not reject Bryan's proposal out-of-hand. I do, however, have some
reservations which I ask that he answer:

(1) Bryan, elsewhere in his post, offers support for Louis's "outline." He
makes no mention of the objections that I have advanced regarding that
outline.

(2) I have suggested that a *discussion* on Cuba (whether as a thread or
cyber-seminar) should *begin* with a discussion of:

    a) the *current* conditions in Cuba (not a few years ago, for instance).

    b) the current perspectives of the Cuban government and the official
       statements by the government and the party concerning changes in Cuba
       and the direction that they want to move Cuba towards.

Bryan does not refer to the above. I suggest  the above it because I feel
that is where the greatest misunderstandings have occurred.

(3) I have suggested, as part of 2) that we attempt to let *Cubans in
Cuba themselves* express their perspectives on what is happening in Cuba
today and where the country is headed. It seems to me to be a basic
element of solidarity to allow and encourage Cubans to speak for themselves.

(4) I have some doubts about Bryan's ability to lead the seminar. He is
aware of some of my complaints against his conduct as co-mod. He has
still not said anything about the inappropriate conduct of the last leader
of a cyber-seminar. Why not?

Jerry