working-class subjectivity

SHAWGI TELL v600a8e6 at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
Sun Feb 4 15:59:21 MST 1996

On Sun, 4 Feb 1996 glevy at acnet.pratt.edu wrote:

> This issue is certainly at the heart of many debates among Marxists
> during the last 30 years. Interestingly, I think many different schools
> of thought are attempting to deal with essentially the same problem but
> from a number of divergent theoretical perspectives. The common ground,
> it seems to me, is a rejection of an overly mechanical, functionalist,
> and economistic view of the working class as subject. The common point of
> departure, then, is against "diamat", the interpretation of Marxism made
> popular particularly in the former USSR.

It might be helpful to note that there is no economism, fatalism,
functionalism, etc., in Marxism.  Marxism, from what I have seen, is
thoroughly dialectical and unequivocally based on Dialectical
Materialism.   Thus, Marx and Engels saw the struggle between idealism
and  materialism as a struggle indissolubly  linked to class struggle.
The  notion that the emergence of "subjectivity  theory" is linked to
the  "common point of departure" Jerry describes is  correct insofar as
we  qulaify this by saying that this is a  view advanced by
revisionists,  post-Marxists, neo-Marxists, ex-Marxists, western
Marxists  and anti-Communists of all hues.

Not surprisingly, there are many conscious exploiter-class organizations in
the world still actively trying to discredit or dismiss Dialectical
Materialism.  Many of these exploiter-class organizations are small,
obscure,  covert entities located in Europe. Of course, they exist in other
parts of the world.

In short, this "subjectivity" issue is NOT at the heart of many debates
among Marxists.  But it is, I think, at the heart of many debates among
anti-Marxists and anti-communists of all stripes.

If anyone is interested in explosive Marxist accounts of psychology and
subjectivity, accounts firmly based on the scientific tenets of
Dialectical Materialism, feel free to contact me.

[Snip...]

Shawgi Tell
University at Buffalo
Graduate School of Education