Trotsky's prose

Scott Marshall scott at rednet.org
Wed Feb 14 08:10:54 MST 1996

Justin,

You'll make a good lawyer - especially when pompousness is called for. Who
said 'not exposed' - people have been giving me his stuff since I was
thirteen and briefly around the YSA. I said I tryed to read him and found
him abstract and convoluted. (Granted I have not read much of his narative
stuff but more selections of his theoretical stuff.) Just a flash I haven't
read much of Stalin either and found him wooden and pedantic. I'm glad you
like Trotsky but what is clear to your analytical mind is not nessessary so
for others. By contrast I've always found Lenin and Marx very clear and
understandable except for certain parts of capital.

Lastly, I don't think what one has read is the best indication of ones
understanding of anything - absent a lot more rounding out it means little -
just check out the 'marxism' being taught in most universities.

Scott

ps. since you are neither a Trotskyite nor a Trotskyist maybe I should wait
for them to publish the definitive tract on proper nomenclature. I don't
recall Trotsky ever declaring, "I am not a Trotskyist."