Trotsky's prose

CEP iwp.ilo at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 14 21:37:44 MST 1996

You(Jerry) wrote:

>FWIW, I find Trotsky's writings to be much clearer and polished than
>Lenin's. Lenin is often too dry and his prose is frequently rambling
and
>disorganized (I know since I, in my youth, read all 45 volumes which I

>bought for $65 in 1971).

    Carlos:
    Agreed on this, Jerry.  With the exception of those books by
    Lenin that were edited by Radek (i.e.: State an Revolution).
    By all accounts, Radek, according to trotsky was "the best
    professional writer of the Bolshevik Party".

    I also like many of the writtings from Zinoviev (I particularly
    remember his articles criticizing the name change of the
    German Workers Social Democratic Party to German Social Democratic
    Party --- the state within the state and so forth)

    One of this days, somebody should unearth Zinoviev's and Radek's
    writtings.

    Jerry wrote:

 Both Trotsky and Lenin, however, were excellent
>speakers by all accounts.

    Carlos:

    There are writtings (many!) describing the abilities of both
    Trotsky's and Lenin's abilitites as speakers (some consensus
    that Trotsky's speeches at the Circus in 1917 were best) but
    I found chronicles of the 1917 revolution stating that the best
    bolshevik speaker at the time was La Kolontai.  Did you hear about
    that?

    BTW: there are at least two taped public speeches by Trotsky, at
    least one of them in English trasmitted through telephone to a
    Convention of the SWP.  Did anybody heard that one?