Fwd: Questions concerning the SWP.

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Fri Feb 16 07:28:23 MST 1996

On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, Hugh Rodwell wrote:

> In all this thread there has been no mention of policy in any but the
> vaguest and most abstract terms. Where do the various parties and groups
> mentioned stand on the issues that concern the working class and the
> oppressed in struggle today?
>
> Leave this organizational moralizing and get down to party positions on

Louis: Hugh, the problem is not policy but how to build revolutionary
parties that can act effectively on policy. You apparently have not
really thought through the whole question of organization or else you
wouldn't be urging people in your characteristically blithe ("Cheers")
manner to go ahead and join something or another. I contend that all of
the "Marxist-Leninist" formations on the scene today (Maoist, Trotskyist,
Moscow-oriented used-to-be) have built-in self-destructive sectarian
tendencies that are based on a misreading of what Lenin was doing in the
time of the formation of the Bolshevik Party. Joining a
"Marxist-Leninist" group today is just a waste of one's time, and, worse,
can lead to severe brain-damage as in my own case. I spent 11 years in
the American Trotskyist movement and walk up and down Broadway muttering
under my breath...