Leninist with an asterisk

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Tue Jun 4 11:31:59 MDT 1996

On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Robert Malecki wrote:

>  But the key question still is today the formation of a leninist vanguard
> with can connect with the proletarian vanguard to lead the working class to
> victory. Without the historical lessons of Lenin and the left opposition
> this will be impossible. Because it is directly counter posed to the
> treacherous leadership of both Stalinism in all of its variants and the
> Social democracy.

Louis: Robert, I once asked you to go easy on the "Leninist" thing. If you
are going to use this word without defining your terms, it leads to all sorts
of confusion. When you use the word "Leninist" you mean bizarre, cult-like
ultraleft sectarian caricatures of Lenin's Bolshevik Party, don't you?

You have managed to ignore both my earlier rejoinder to you on this
question and subsequent referrals to the problem. Just because the
Spartacist League calls itself "Leninist", there is no reason to accept
this self-designation, is there?

Perhaps in the future you should use the term Leninist(*), so then we will
understand each other. Leninist with an asterisk means the tiny groups of
Trotskyists who have a knack for splitting rather than growing. These
groups have turned expulsions into a genuine art-form. If you study the
history of the Bolshevik Party, you will discover only a single expulsion.
Cheygitz was the only person to point this out, bless his soul.