STOP THE DEPORTATION DE JULIAN CALERO TO THE DEATH SQUADS IN PERU.

Luis Quispe lquispe at blythe.org
Fri Jun 7 08:26:44 MDT 1996

 NO TO THE DEPORTATION OF JULIAN S. CALERO TO THE DEATH SQUADS IN PERU!
 STOP THE PERSECUTION AND REPRESSION OF OPPONENTS TO THE MURDEROUS REGIME
 OF FUJIMORI!

 Supporters of the Peruvian revolution,
 Democratic and progressive forces in the world,

 We have been asked by the legal team formed for the defense of Juan S.
 Calero, to hold on our detailed statement on the situation of this Peruviam
 citizen arrested last Thursday by agents of the FBI while he was
 attending a routine hearing on his on-going application for political
 assylum to reside in the US-INS. Nevertheless, we want to give you a
 brief background: Julian is a friendly young maintenance worker living
 and working in the US since 1989. He is very well liked by neighbors and
 friends in his community. He financially supports his wife and two children
 who are not living in the U.S.

 Fujimori falsely accuses him for actions of the of the PCP
 People's Guerrilla allegedly occurring in 1991. He also accuses him
 of being a leader of the political opposition to his regime in the US,
 which is also totally false.

 Julian and his family have been victims of blatant repression by
 Fujimori's police and intelligence services (SIN) in
 Peru. His brother was tortured to death by military agents of
 the Fujimori regime during interrogation in Lima. His
 father and wife and two children were recently arrested after SIN set
 them up the trump up charge that they have rented a room to a
 "suspected" member of the Central Committee of the PCP.
 The father and Julian's two small children were
 released and went underground in Peru. His wife was tortured, raped and
 kept in jail for about one year. Under pressure of the Red Cross,
 Senator Christopher Dodd of CT, and others in the U.S., she was released
 from the Santa Monica Prison in Lima and escaped to an European Embassy and
 eventually left the country.

 Lately, a myriad of unsupported allegations by the
 imperialist media (NYT, El Diario of NY, El Mundo, AP) were made against
 Julian. They don't even mention he was legally working in this
 country, meeting his legal obligations and paying taxes like anyone
 working class person. They falsely say he was "submitting his application
 for political assylum," but the reality is that such application was being
 processed "favorably" for about 2 years, and this should have being made on
 its merits like it was done for other people who seek assylum.
 However, the case of Julian is now political and we know that during his
 last visit to the US by Fujimori, he has requested to Clinton his
 extradiction. Also, it is not strange that recently the pigs have
 conducted surveillance and harrassment on many political activists lately.
 We have denounced previously on this matter.

 We must save the life of Julian. We must not allow he be sent to Fujimori's
 death chamber of Dincote and SIN. To dispel doubts, Julian has
 the courage and will to fight to the last moment of his life for the poor
 and the exploited masses of Peru. He is not a "capitulator" or an
 "Ambassador of Fujimori," he is just part of the profound masses of Peru
 that seek justice for our people. Let's fight back against the genocidal
 murderer Fujimori.

 With the coordination of the legal team, a Defense Committee for
 Julian S. Calero is being organized.

 Thank you for your support.

 Luis.