Debating Karl: a waste of time

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Fri Jun 7 09:18:08 MDT 1996

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Karl Carlile wrote:

> Ha Ha! So St. Louis is getting angry.

Louis: Karl, you are the oddest duck I have ever met on this list. This is
the image I have of you at this point:

1) You are the author of a rather long attack on the literary
theorist Terry Eagleton that appears on the Marxism web page. I haven't
read it as thoroughly as I should, but it seems to be something to the
effect that Eagleton is not as resolute as he should be in fighting
postmodernism. This sort of thing, I assume, is what you think
Marxist-Leninists should be concentrating their intellectual powers on
today.

2) You are the advocate of a new Marxist-Leninist movement that is
comprised of study circles on works such as Das Kapital in order to make
sure that intellectuals finally understand the labor theory of value, etc.
Once this is mastered, the intellectuals should go out and do political
work among the masses.

3) You are opposed to dirty words and opened up a long and bitter attack
on members of this list for saying things like "fuck you" and "bullshit".

I must say this, Karl. You are certainly unique. I could only imagine what
a party of ten thousand people with exactly your temperament would look
like. Good luck.