labor party convention

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Fri Jun 7 11:30:32 MDT 1996

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Doug Henwood wrote:

> For what it's worth, at a lunch gabfest at the Nation's offices recently,
> Jerry Brown announced that he no longer considers himself a Dem. When he
> moved from SF to Oakland, for the first time in his life, he registered as
> an independent. He was quite vicious about the party, which upset quite a
> few people around the table. From my point of view, it was a fine
> performance (though I'm certainly no fan of JB's).

Louis: There are some interesting developments on this front. In the
latest Nation magazine, Tom Wicker, retired long-time NY Times editorial
page writer, calls for a new political party based on the poor and the
black population since the Democrats and Republicans have not responded to
their needs. My guess is that when high profile people like Brown and
Wicker start making noises like this, then profound shifts are taking
place in the political landscape.