Chiapas famine alert & some concrete controversy

Zeynep Tufekcioglu zeynept at turk.net
Tue Jun 18 01:18:11 MDT 1996

Jack,

Thank you for putting into exact words my vague concern and impression of
the anti-NAFTA activity.

>I have resisted getting involved in the anti-NAFTA activity in the
>U.S. because of the chauvinist content of so much of this agitation.
>I prefer to point out that the NAFTA represents a general trend of
>international politics and economics that was occurring before
>NAFTA.  The issue is international working class solidarity not a
>nationalist fight over jobs.  Some activists I work with disagree with
>me on this and feel an internationalist opposition to NAFTA is
>politically possible and necessary.

That's the "controversy" in a nut-shell. I really understand your concern
over getting caught up in the "save our jobs from the Mexicans" type of
anti-NAFTA movement.

Then, again, as you point that there is a general trend of international
politics and economics, above and beyond NAFTA. It is a global assault on
the working class of all countries.

Either anti-NAFTA within a nationalist, chauvanist, labour-aristocrat sense,
or quiet if not compliant about imperialist expansion and exploitation? How
do we avoid this false dilemna? How do we not choose from the menu?

I think this is one hell of an unanswered question.

Zeynep