Significance of Kronstadt

Chris, London 100423.2040 at compuserve.com
Wed Jun 19 00:58:47 MDT 1996

Paul Gallagher, Louis P, and others have questioned the
relevance of debating Kronstadt. Now Doug has written:

I agree, though, that today's Marxists spend too much time obsessing over
the past. Kronstadt was a long long time ago. The reason to read Marx is
that there is no better analysis of what capitalism is all about; in many
ways, today's capitalism behaves more like Marx's model than it did 100
years ago, since the system now pervades every nook & cranny of the world,
and of human life. We should take that understanding and apply it to the
world we live in, not the world of Lenin and Trotsky.
<<<

In many ways I agree with this. My purpose in amplifying and
developing the thread about Kronstadt was to ask that the events
of the past are put into perspective, rather than used as symbolic
displays of demonology. It is a way of asking that we transcend
the polemics of the different sects, while recognising
their different traditions.

This l'st has gone in the early months from a rather academic
post-marxist flavour to flame wars between left sectarians to
battles between representatives of different left wing organisations.
As this process works through, symbolised but not limited to
the remarkable fragmentation of the Maoist invasion, I think the
stage is being set for more penetrating non-dogmatic, non-
sectarian discussion of what is happening now. There is no reason
however why some historical discussions should not continue.

The result could look reformist, but that is only if you see
reforms counterposed to revolution in principle. I  hope
the result will also look global and will be about taking on the
neo-liberal agenda.

Chris