state capitalism?

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Thu Jun 20 07:21:25 MDT 1996

On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Walter Daum wrote:

> In countries where the old bourgeoisie was too weak, the CPs took
> over and carried out nationalizations bureaucratically. But they
> first sought to lead coalitions with shadow bourgeois parties, to
> legitimize their own role in defense of the national capital. At

Louis: What in the world is "the national capital"? This strikes me as a
particularly infelicitous formulation. Capital is tied to a class, isn't
it? The nation is not synonymous with a class, is it? Were the
nationalizations in Cuba carried out "bureaucratically"? What does this
mean? When the USSR in its infancy seized control of the steel mills,
railroads, shipyards, etc. that used to belong to domestic and foreign
capital, what distinguished the method in which it carried out these
nationalizations from the way the Cuban government did in 1959-1960?