Fwd: Louis P.& American Online

TMurray800 at aol.com TMurray800 at aol.com
Sun Jun 23 15:04:29 MDT 1996

In a message dated 96-06-22 20:11:14 EDT, TMurray800 writes:

<< ubj:	Louis P.& American Online
 Date:	96-06-22 20:11:14 EDT
 From:	TMurray800
 To:	marxism at jefferson.village.virginia.edu

 <<  Louis, there are some thing you need to know about AOL.
    America Online allows each member to have 5 screen names with
    separate pass words.These can be changed at any time.This allows
    people to constantly post(flame) to different groups with total
    anonymity.When you sign onto AOL you are given a screen name or
    they allow you to create your own,it will not resemble your real
    name.I have no idea the reasoning behind this.
              American Online can be hacked at will,there are security
    holes in the software you could drive a truck through.It has been
    hacked and will contine to be hacked,but AOL wiil not admit it,they
    don't want their system to be seen as unsecure.My account was hacked
    and my personal e-mail was removed,and AOL refused to do anything
    about it.
             There are several ways to hack AOL.Many people take the
    AOL sign up disks put them in the computer and just enter false
    information during the sign up process.Once they're online they
    can raise hell.When they sign off they just delete the AOL soft-
    ware.Another method is to use one of the hacker phreak software
    programs written just for AOL.The most popular is AOHELL,this
    lets you raise some serious hell,like point and click to send
    someone 500 message mail bombs.This program also allows you to
    write e-mail and make it appear that it came from someone else.
    This is only one of the hacker programs for AOL,there are many
    more,and they can all be downloaded from the web for free,with
    risk -I know one guy who downloaded AOHELL and went to install
    it-when he came back it was formatting his hard disk.
                 There are many hacker,cyberpunk,anarchrist groups
    that use AOL as a base for attacking other systems.Its an easy
    way to cover their tracks.And these people don't like Marxists.
                 There are lots of hacker web pages with ready to
    down load programs that are nasty.Another thing to watch out
    for is attached files,you notice on the M-list that at times
    people have attached files with their messages,well if you don't
    know these people-delete the attached files.There are many small
    virus programs that can be concealed within these that are self
    replicating.
                    If you're interested I can send you the URLs of
    some of the hacker web pages,or you can check the alt.aol sucks
    news group.

                                              Tom