Marxism in Australia: any thoughts?

C u961680 at student.canberra.edu.au
Thu May 2 23:36:07 MDT 1996

When you read the gibberish that Gary MacLennan passes off below for
Marxism aren't you reminded of Karl Marx's own comment to the effect that
that, "if that is Marxism I am not a Marxist." This forthcoming
Australian conference on "Marxism" is a sick parody of the revolutionary
principles of Marx.

Gary MacLennan's Marxological abstract closes with an expressed concern
to consider/discuss challenges to market values. "Challenges to market
values?!!"

What Australia needs is NOT a "challenge to market values". Australia
needs communist revolution. The imperialist Australian ruling class must
be overthrown! The question of state power is central to any discussion
of which way forward for Marxists in Australia. Both the Keating and Goss
Labor governments were the parliamentary representatives of the
Australian bourgeoisie. They and all their ilk were and are the class enemy.

In Australia as elsewhere, the central task confronting the revolutionary
workers and oppressed is the seizure of power. Quite simply, if you're
not focussing on how the revolutionary masses can seize power and
establish the dictatorship of the proletariat, then you are not Marxist.

It is only the revolutionary war of the masses, led by an authentic
Communist Party guided by Marxism-Leninism-Maoism, which can lead the
proletariat to power in Australia.

Today, a situation in which the proletariat can launch the armed struggle
for power (People's War) does not exist in Australia. The possibility of
successfully initiating the People's War in Australia (urban-based
insurrection going over to civil war against the reactionary state power)
is intimately linked to the development of revolutionary situations in
which the ruling class can no longer rule in the usual way, and the
heightened social and political crises in Australia and the world draws
millions of workers and oppressed into the fight to overthrow the
Australian imperialists.

The task of all genuine Marxists in Australia today is to prepare for
these exceptional moments in history by accumulating revolutionary
revolutionary strength --- the immediate preparatory task being the
reconstitution of the Communist Party of Australia on the basis of
Marxism-Leninism-Maoism. Historical experience has repeatedly shown that
for there to be communist revolution there must be a revolutionary
communist party. It is only with such a revolutionary Communist Party of
Australia that the proletariat will be ready and able to seize victory
when the conditions for revolution are ripe.

For further consideration of these questions by Maoists in Australia see
the article, "Dividing Line Questions for the Revolution in Australia,"
in REVOLUTIONARY COMMUNIST, November 1994 [ organ of the Committee for a
Revolutionary Communist Party in Australia]. Send $2 in Australian stamps
to:
	CRCPA
	GPO Box 474D
	Melbourne VIC 3001