QUESTION: RIM, AVAKIAN, RCP

Luis Quispe lquispe at blythe.org
Thu May 9 00:42:36 MDT 1996

>           A question about RIM and such for those on the list who are up on
>           it.
>
>           Lately the  RCP  has especially been pushing the notion that  Bob
>           Avakian is a Major Leader and Thinker.  This is not as such a new
>           thing:  anyone who  ever  saw BULLETS, the "little gray book"  of
>           Chairman Bob's pity Thoughts, knows that RCP  has quite the  cult
>           of personality around  the ever-youthful Avakian  (whose official
>           portrait  seems  not  to  have  been  updated  in  a  decade  and
>           counting).  But the REVOLUTIONARY WORKER and  the RCP-niks I  ran
>           into  at  the Politics of Meaning conference in Washington, DC  a
>           couple of weeks ago seemed even more gung-ho on  Bob Thought than
>           in the past.  And that is saying something.
>
>           Now, the question.  Is this an effort to lift Chairman Bob to the
>           level  of  Gonzalo,  given  that  G  is  not  available  to  lend
>           leadership to  the  worldwide  Maoist  movement  at  the  present
>           moment?  Do ex-RCPers on  the  list  have  any thoughts on  this?
>           I've  always  wondered  what  it  must  be  like  to  be  in   an
>           organization which took Avakian seriously as a theorist.

            NO, IDEOLOGICALLY CHAIRMAN BOB IS LIGHT YEARS AWAY FROM
            PRESIDENT GONZALO. WHAT'S HAPPENING IS THAT THE RCP/CO-RIM
            SILENCE AND THE INCORRECT EVALUATION OF THE "TWO LINE STRUGGLE"
            IN THE PEOPLE'S WAR AND THE PCP HAS DISCREDITED BADLY THE
            LEADERSHIP IN BOTH THE RCP AND CO-RIM. THEIR BASES HAVE BEGAN
            TO CRITICIZED AND QUESTION THE REVISIONIST DEVIATION OF THE
            LEADERSHIP AND ALSO BEGAN TO QUESTION HIS UNNECESSARY PROLONGUED
            PHYSICAL ABSENCE. THE RESPONSE WAS TO PROMOTE AGAIN THE DECREPIT
            FIGURE OF AVAKIAN WITH THE PURPOSE TO MANTAIN UNITY IN THE RANK
            AND FILE. ONE THING I MUST TELL THAT WE HAVE WORK FOR YEARS WITH
            THE RANK AND FILE OF THE RCP, IN COMPARISON WITH THE DECADENT OLD
            LEFT IN THIS COUNTRY, THE BASES OF THE RCP ARE THE MOST
            CONSCIOUS AND HONEST SUPPORTERS OF THE PEOPLE'S WAR IN PERU.

>           Given that about half of  the list is  now devoted to  the Maoist
>           Wars, I  hope somebody can take the time  to answer this sort  of
>           simplistic question.  To  a non-Maoist, it's pretty hard to  tell
>           the differences among  you  guys  --  maybe answering  this  will
>           provide some helpful background.

            HERE SOME READERS MAY BE CONFUSED BY 2 PROFESSIONAL DIVISIVE
            INDIVIDUALS THAT W/O ANY FACTS (OLAECHEA AND HIS FAITHFUL SIDE
            KICK MARTENS) THAT SAY WE ARE AVAKIANISTS. WE OPPOSE THE LINE
            OF THE OPORTUNIST LEADERSHIP OF THE CO-RIM AND THE COUPLE
            OF RIGHT OPPORTUNISTS OLAECHEA AND ARCE WHO CLAIM TO HAVE IN
            THEIR DREAMS A "WORLD MOBILIZATION."
            Marcelina Ccorimanya.