An orderly retreat

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Thu May 9 06:56:45 MDT 1996

On Tue, 9 Jan 1996, Jorn Andersen wrote:

> If this is related to Nicaragua I think Louis confuses the
> terms "retreat" and "capitulate". When you "retreat" you take steps

Louis: Well, in the case of the USSR, retreat only helped to
assure the victory of the bureaucracy. While Lenin just before his death
thought that the "army" of the proletariat would storm back, nothing of
the sort took place. You say the Nicaraguans "capitulated" to imperialism.
Meanwhile, you have never evinced any understanding on this list about the
realities of Nicaraguan politics and any alternative to the course that
the Sandinistas took. You, like Rodwell and Miller, are content to simply
blow a bugle from the sidelines and call for the FSLN to "charge".
However, we are dealing with intractable problems in the third world that
no amount of facile Trotskyist rhetoric have the solution to. Yes, we are
all for "worker's democracy", collective ownership of the means of
production, etc. The problem, comrade, is that the devil is in the
details.