re-bombs & the late soviet warfare state

Michael Luftmensch MLuftmensch at hubcap.mlnet.com
Thu May 9 22:26:53 MDT 1996

re-bombs & the late soviet warfare state

>Paul C
>- ------
>If the USSR had not acquired the bomb by the end of the 40s, can
>you doubt that the US would have used nuclear weapons in the Korean
>war?

Michael

The United States has continually threatened to use nuclear weapons,
but after the 1945 bombings of Japan, they have not done so.
I doubt they would have used nuclear weapons in Korea, altho no doubt
they threatened.

The short-term deterrent effect of the Soviet Union's production of
atom bombs came at the expense of long-term cumulative social change.
The Soviet Union would eventually collapse under the weight.

But if the US had dropped an atom bomb on the Koreans inspite of a Soviet
deterrent, how would the USSR have retaliated?  & to what end?