An orderly retreat

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Fri May 10 07:13:30 MDT 1996

On Tue, 9 Jan 1996, Jorn Andersen wrote:

> Yes, retreat helped the victory of the bureaucracy. And yes, the
> proletariat didn't storm back.
> But nothing of this was inevitable. There are some historical

Louis: When I used the word "inevitable", I was of course using the wrong
word. Inevitability applies to the world of natural science such as in the
case where carbon nuclei leads inevitably to carbon matter.

I should have said something like this: objective conditions deeply
favored the decline of the Russian revolution. Of course, a victory in
Germany or even backward China would have helped break down the
isolation of the USSR. That leads, however, to a discussion of what
specific class forces in Germany retarded the growth of revolutionary
consciousness of the social democracy there.

The main point I am trying to make is that all you sharp-eyed Trotskyists
and post-Trotskyists have to get out of the habit of evaluating currents
like the FSLN the way liberals in the United States chastise Bill Clinton
for his broken promises. There are class forces that explain Clinton's
deceitfulness. There are class forces that explain the failure of the FSLN
to deliver the goods. Less finger-wagging and more Marxism is what's
needed.