No Need for Unmasking Secret Infiltrators in the US (and other ancient myths)

hariette spierings hariette at easynet.co.uk
Sun May 12 15:02:38 MDT 1996

MENSHEVISM (Right Wing Opportunism) FACILITATES THE WORK OF THE ZUBATOVS:

Clandestinitis is a Zubatov method abhorrent to the proletarian Party.

By Adolfo Olaechea
on behalf of Committee Sol-Peru - London

Gina says:

>There is NOTHING absurd about supporters of the People's War in
>Peru living in this country, regardless of their immigration status,
>becoming suspicious when an over-zealous reporter starts asking
>questions about "personal interest" topics, even if those questions
>have been asked in all innocence.  There is no immunity granted by
>the system for naïvete.  There is nothing sinister about political
>activists taking every precaution possible to ensure their physical
>safety and ability to function; nothing odd about people taking
>seriously EVERY contact by the political police, no matter how
>minor it may seem to the casual observer.
>
>Gina/ Detroit

"THE VERY NATURE OF AN ASSOCIATION WHICH IDENTIFIES ITSELF WITH THE WORKING
CLASSES, WOULD EXCLUDE FROM IT EVERY FORM OF SECRET SOCIETY.  IF THE WORKING
CLASSES, WHO FORM THE GREAT BULK OF ALL NATIONS, WHO PRODUCE ALL THEIR
WEALTH, AND IN THE NAME OF WHOM EVEN THE USURPING POWERS ALWAYS PRETEND TO
RULE, CONSPIRE, THEY CONSPIRE PUBLICLY, AS THE SUN CONSPIRES AGAINST
DARKNESS, IN THE FULL CONCIOUSNESS THAT WITHOT THEIR PALE THERE EXISTS NO
LEGITIMATE POWER"
Karl Marx, "Concerning the Persecution of the members of the French
Sections" from a page of the manuscript pasted into the General Council's
Minute Book)

"Everything aduced by the police is untrue.... They steal, forge, break into
desks, bear false witness and, withal, claim this license against
communists, who are outside society!..... We here (in London) had to supply
all proofs of the forgery. Hence my husband had to work all day late into
the night"
Jenny Marx to Adolf Clauss, member of the Communist league, forced to
emigrate to the United States after the defeat of the 1848-49 revolution,
referring to the way Marx had to deal with slanderous accusations.

"VOGT WAS MERELY ONE OF THE COUNTLESS MOUTHPIECES THROUGH WHOM THE GROTESQUE
VENTRILOQUIST IN THE TUILERIES (Napoleon III - AO) SPOKE IN FOREIGN TONGUES...."
Karl Marx,  Herr Vogt, London 1860

Gina is absolutely mistaken if she thinks that the problems of the police
and state organs of repression are something new that the Communists are not
aware of. From the time of Marx - who was also an exile but who found no
reason to hide his face in his far more important activities than the
editorship of NF - comunists, at the highests levels, have always had to
fight the state for their legal existance, and so they should.

That is not to say that clandestine work -meaning work which is kept secret-
should be open for all to see, but the editorship of a legal paper in the
USA is no part of that.  It requires effort, as Jenny Marx describes, and
also the courage of conviction that Mariategui himself speaks of when he
says that the revolution cannot advance without people prepared to go to
jail for their ideas. Even under the Nazi regime, Georgi Dimitrov gave us an
example of that sort of courage - which Chairman Gonzalo himself emulated -
with which a real communist knows how to conduct his affairs when faced by
the reactionary state's organs of repression.

Communist leaders, on occassions, must go underground, some time for lenghty
periods, and that is why secret organisms of the Party, secret membership,
etc are necessary. However that does not make of the Party a secret society
because as soon as conditions exist for it the Party and its organistations
always strive to have a presence overground, even under conditions of
People's War. And this is perfectly in keeping with the spirit of Marx's own
admonition which we publish at the top of this mailer.

For example, take the case of El Diario in Lima. Even after it became the
open tribune of the PCP line in the early part of the 80s, it continued to
function legally within its registered offices, with his legal and public
editors, Luis Arce Borja and Janet Talavera.

Even then, every inch of legality was contested and defended by the
revolutionaries, by legal and also by illegal means (for example, having
armed comrades sleep in the premises or in neighbouring houses to protect
the offices of the people's voice from the many terrorist attempts, police
raids, hooded thugs and all sort of harassment that before making it
impossible to continue overground, the reactionaries used to supress El Diario).

As history shows, these battles to defend the rights and freedoms conquered
by the class in this revolutionary journalistic sphere, lasted a protracted
time, and included many times the arrest of journalists, photographers,
executives, and even Arce Borja himself. Finally, when the state finally
managed to drive Arce into exile, later imprisoning Janet Talavera, who was
subsequently killed inside the jail in the latest big massacre staged by
Fujimori, they may have won that battle but they lost legitimacy and
therefore the ruling class position in society was therein weakened.  Today
El Diario continues to be published clandestinely in Lima, since there are
at present no legal conditions any more for its appearance, but it is sold
openly there where the people's strenght can guarantee the safety of those
doing the selling.

So, that is how communists conduct their legal affairs and "conspire
publically, like the sun conspires against darkness" even under conditions
compared to which the "coffee" Gina is so rapturously smelling actually is
rather more than the weakest of camomille teas.

Yes, there is a need to be on one's guard, but the dangers of infiltrated
agents are much more serious for the revolutionaries and an overemphasis in
cladestine attitudes actually facilitates the work of the ZUBATOVS.

In fact the security services have always long used clandestine methods in
order to infiltrate te revolutionary camp.  Particularly serious are in the
United States the FBI mounted organisms whose only finality is to discover
the rebellious elements willing to approach the revolutionaries.

In a case like this "clandestinitis" which is a Menshevik trend - watch
malecki come to your defense on this too - is a help, rather than a
hindrance for the Zubatovs, since the visor of the "people's tribunes" is
not open, the working class can not see who they are dealing with,
distrusting everything they say or do, and no one can lead under such
conditions.

Particularly, in the US, and now internationally in the Internet, FBI
mounted operations have the penchant for the use of anarchist provocateurs,
who pose as ultra-revolutionary, but they always show their lumpen tail when
confronted by the true revolutionaries resorting them always to character
assassination and false charges against the revolutionaries, like it was
even with Karl Marx in the celebrated Herr Vogt case.

I know that one of the RCP-USA idiocies is to discourage young people from
learning the history of the International Communist Movement with their
penchant to believe that everything started anew with Maoism.  That is why
that party is heavily infiltrated by FBI agents, since the sincere militants
have no experience to go by in identifying such vermin.

The case of Herr Vogt - see quote from Karl Marx above - was also the case
of man pretending to speak in the name of the revolutionary Party and the
true revolutionaries at that. Meanwhile, secretly, he was in the pay of the
Bonaparte police with the aim of casting his slurs on Karl Marx and the
International.
Then too, Marx made strenous efforts to get to the bottom of this affair
that also caused a small kerfuffle for a few weeks and even months in the
circles of the left in many countries, since there always exists a
right-wing tendency to give credence to mountebanks of all sorts even in the
best of comrades at times, specially when the fabricated charges are so
unexpected. There is nothing new under the sun in this department, on the
contrary, the strange thing would be that the Internet, being a new media,
would not have attracted this kind of operation already.  What better
"honey" to identify the potential radicals than a "PCP" baited one?  These
are serious charges, but responsible ones too.

That is another reason why clandestinitis is shun by the revolutionaries.
In the case of "Herr Quispe" we have not yet gotten to the bottom of the
affair.
We have shown how this man is actually endangering the security of people in
Peru, is slandering the true revolutionary leaders, and no one is prepared
to stand up for this operation which appears to be trafficking with the
prestige of the PCP in order to lure people to a web site that could well be
what the FBI calls a "honey trap".  That is a danger to a whole movement,
something which clearly over-rides any concern for the immigration status of
any particular person.

As to the person hiding behind the double persona "Quispe-Ccorimanya" we do
not yet know who he is working for.  But, believe me, we are determined to
find out and we will, just as Vogt was eventually proven to be who he really
was.  There are of course other possibilities, that is why true
revolutionaries are no trigger happy with the "COPS/COPS/COPS" cry of wolf.
That is why we want to involve the masses here too in this investigation.
That is the correct way to go round with these issues which revolutionaries
must always know how to deal with, serenely and systematically.

However, my revolutionary and internationalist duty is to suggest to all
true defenders of the people's cause in this list and elsewhere,
irrespective of their ideologies, to cease relations with this suspect
organisation until the truth is established in this case.  Any excuses are
now innecessary and can only serve the interests of the Zubatovs. I see Gina
is already won't to take my advise. This is all I have to say and will not
enter into further discussions with her on this affair: Gina, you are now
sailing under your own flag. I do not at present recognise any comradeship
with you until a clear stand on your part on this affair is forcoming.

Adolfo Olaechea

PS:  We advise all comrades working towards the WMC and who have not
expressed their PUBLIC dissociation form this outfit New Flag which
continues to uphold this individual as "Director & Vice Director) to do so
in order to establish the proper trust vis-a vis and among the revolutionary
people. There is no need not to use the materials hitherto published by NF,
nor to dismantle any of its operations, since in truth, those must belong to
the revolutionary people from which they may have been usurped.  The
question here is at present reduced to a single individual.