EL DIARIO - CENTRAL ARTICLE - STRUGGLE AGAINST MAOISM IN WORDS

hariette spierings hariette at easynet.co.uk
Mon May 13 17:59:53 MDT 1996

THE PCP AND THE CO-RIM LEADERSHIP

Lenin pointed out that opportunism characterised itself by one COMMON feature:
"Its undefined, diffuse, inaprehensible character.... it crawls like a snake
...attempting to be in agreement with both sides of every argument..." He
added that "it was difficult to catch an oportunist with a simple
formulation, since it would subscribe any formula with the same ease he will
renege of it...."  Something like this happens with the political line of
the RIM leaders.  Until October 1993, to smoke them out, was harder than
catching a rabbit in a wide prairie.  It is obvious the rabbit continues to
jump around, but not for long.  On this issue, here we present a brief
analysis of the PCP's struggle against the deviations within RIM.

For 12 years the PCP has been developing an important two-line struggle at
the ideo-political level against the so called Committee of RIM (Co-RIM).
We can say we no compunction that the PCP is the only party within RIM that
has pointed out with precision the right wing deviations of that organisation.

Since 1984 the Communist Party of Peru functions as a red fraction within
the Revolutionary Internationalist Movement (RIM).  The PCP takes no part in
what is known as Co-Rim.  That is to say that it has no representation in
the leadership of that organism.  That is why the discrepancies and the
struggle that the PCP advances are principally expressed by means of
communiques and Party resolutions.  This situation, naturally, makes it
difficult to re-orient RIM, moreover when the RIM leadership suffers from a
burocratic and hegemonistic practice.

In October 1993 opportunism shows its true face

Here, basing ourselves upon the grounds of the PCP's official version, we
make a synthesis of the principal differences that the PCP has in relation
with the RIM leadership.  With this text it should be easy to grasp the fact
that the deviations of RIM are as old as the organisation itself now in its
16th year.  The points made by PCP have been precise and show that the
deviations have grown more acute each time round until they have degenerated
into a vulgar right wing opportunist line.

The behaviour of the leaders of RIM on the question of the "Peace letters "
(October 1993) reveals that the right wing tendencies in this organisation,
instead of correcting themselves, have grown deeper roots.  No amount of
demagogy nor bombastic declarations can cover up the fact that the RIM
leaders are far away from Marxism-Leninism-Maoism and that they are taking
gigantic strides towards the swamp of the enemies of the revolution.

RIM, THE ORIGENS OF A RIGHT WING OPPORTUNIST LINE

The year 1980. In a joint communique signed by 13 political organisations
the formation of RIM is announced. The declaration minimises the political
thought of Chairman Mao Tse-tung, a nd a "Marxist-Leninist" unity is
proposed.  The driving role in this organisation is played by the leaders of
the Communist party of the USA (RCP).

The year 1983. On that year, as Chairman Gonzalo relates, the RCP-USA
invited the PCP to sign the 1980 declaration.  Among other reasons, the PCP
rejects that declaration given that "Mao Tse-tung Thought was not taken on
board in that declaration".  That is why the Party did not subscribe that
document and instead put acroos its own point of view.  The PCP advances its
indeclinable position of taking on board the revolutionary contributions of
the Great Helmsman of China.

In the Second National Conference of the Communist Party of Peru of May
1982, the Party had adopted the position that Marxism-Leninism-Maoism
constituted the Third Stage of Marxism.  From the beginnings of the sixties
the Peruvian Maoists had been advocates of Mao Tse-tung Thought.

HOW DID THE RIM ESTABLISHED RELATIONS WITH THR PCP?

The "contact" the RIM used in 1983 to get close to the PCP was precisely
Javier Esparza, the same personage who in 1993 was to capitulate and to go
over to work for the Peruvian police.  It is this individual who took it
upon himself to build a bridge between RIM and the PCP.

THE PCP AND ITS DIFFERENCES WITH RIM

The year 1984.  The Second Conference where the agreement to oficially
establish RIM took place.  Curiously, in this event, the organisers of RIM,
that only a year before were not prepared to take on board the contributions
of Chairman Mao Tse-tung, had elaborated a declaration calling for "Unity
around Marxism-Leninism Mao Tse-tung Thought".

The PCP is invited to sign the new Declaration. The PCP signs it, but it
serves notice that it does this with clear ideo-political differences and
expresses these differences in a systematic manner in a letter (October
1986) directed to the leaders of RIM.  In that letter two principal points
are summarised:

Firstly:  "From the beginning of our relations, the root cause of our
differences is the substantive and decisive question of regarding
Marxism-Leninism-Maoism as the only, true and new stage of development of
the proletarian ideology, with universal validity, and principally the
question of Maoism as the gist of the matter.  Therein our disagreement with
the label of Marxism-Leninism-Mao Tse-tung Thought.  However, we have
regarded, and continue to do so, that the resolution of this question that
for us the indispensible basic point, is a complex matter that demands time,
and specially demands the development of the revolution in order to be solved".

Secondly:  "On subscribing the Declaration arived at at the II Meeting which
established RIM, we attended with observations and even clear
counterpositions briefly expressed, and which we have reiterated in
meetings, reports and communications which demonstrate obvious differences
on the question of the principal contradiction, revolutionary situation of
uneven development, world war, and certain criteria about the role of the
Movement, as well as more important points such as the universal validity of
marxism-Leninism-Maoism, and particularly the universal validity of People's
War".

THE FIRST CONGRESS OF THE PCP DENOUNCES THE DEVIATIONS IN RIM - 8 POINTS IN
DEBATE

In its First Congress of 1988, PCP reiterates again its differences with the
RIM leaders.  The Party points out that RIM "faces problems in several
levels".  Here we will systematise in 8 points the main differences noted by
the Communist party of Peru (PCP):

1.  "In the ideological level, to advance in understanding
marxism-leninism-maoism.  This advance is crucial, and of its implementation
depends even RIM's political development.

2. "In the political level, advancing in the definition of the fundamental
contradictions in the world today, the question of a Third World War and the
question of the revolution as the main trend, as well as the transformation
of imperialist war into People's War in the eventuality of this event
breaking out.

3.  On the question of construction:  "What guidelines should we follow in
order to achieve the International we need, an International that must be
the continuation of the Glorious International Communist Movement".

4.  On the question of mass work: "We base ourselves upon our slogans: "The
masses make history".  "Rebellion is justified" and "the colossal mountain
of garbage". And also the fact that "mass work is for the purpose of
launching the People's War or for its development".

5.  On the leadership question:  "This is a key issue that demands time for
its formation, development and recognition of its authority".

6. On the struggle within RIM:  "On the question of the two-line struggle
this is not handled as it should be.  These are problems of development but
if these are not resoved in a just and correct fashion they may result in
desarticulating phenomena and these negative possibilities cannot but worry us".

7.  On the question of hegemonistic tendencies: "We consider that the
Committee of RIM aims to the imposition of the label of
"Marxism-Leninism-Mao Tse-tung Thought" , to constrain our Party within the
framework of the Declaration and to resove the problems of leadership in the
Committee in a way that suggests there are in it hegemonistic tendencies".

8.  The PCP synthesises in this fashion its participation in RIM: "taking
this situation into account, we re-affirm ourselves on the road agreed at
the IV National Conference of the PCP of October 1986 to develop our
activities as a fraction within the International Communist Movement
striving for establishing Marxism-Leninism-Maoism, principally Maoism, as
the command and guide of the world revolution".

THE SECOND PLENUM OF PCP DEMANDS A NEW RIM DECLARATION

At the Second Plenum of the Central Commitee of October 1990 Chairman
Gonzalo returns to the question of the deviations in the leadership of RIM.
he points out that we should understand that "revolution is the main
historical trend in the world and also the main political trend.... We
believe that the RIM does not understand this question well".

And spaeking of the Communist International, he says:  "Let us not forget
that we are the ones to have the responsibility of our revolution.  Today we
do not have an International, and everything we undergo will be entirely our
own responsibility....".

In the same Party event the necessity of demanding a new Declaration from
RIM is raised and the thesis is advanced that the unity of the communists
must be approached in three different levels:

1.  Basing ourselves on the grounds of Marxism-Leninism-Maoism

2.  Serving the world proletarian revolution.

3.  Fighting revisionism through to the end.

TWO FLAGS ARE CONTENDING AT THE INTERNATIONAL LEVEL

A synthesis of this stage of the history of the relationship of the PCP and
RIM demonstrate the following concrete facts:

Firstly:  That the three points advanced by the Communist Party of Peru for
the unity of the International Communist Movement have been violated and
sidelined by the leadership that for the last 16 years has run the RIM.

Secondly: The oaths of fidelity to Marxism-Leninism-Maoism that the RIM
leadership is mouthing have no other objective than to hide their vulgar
right wing opportunist line.

Thirdly:  The statement of RIM about their "Red Flag is Flying in Peru" is
geared to undermining the prestige of PCP and the Peruvian revolution.
Never will an opportunist flag take over from the Red Flag of the People's
War in Peru

NEXT ARTICLES: WATCH THE NEXT MAILERS FOR:

BANKRUPTCY OF RIM'S LEADERSHIP

REPORT FROM THE FRONT

HUAYCAN: REACTIONARIES BREAK RANKS

THE STREET VENDORS INSURRECTION

FUJIMORI: A BROKEN DOWN MUPPET

PERUVIAN REGIME AND THE COCAINE TRAIL

FOUR THOUSAND MINERS SACKED

500 MILLION DOLLARS IN WEAPONRY

THE PEOPLE'S WAR IN NEPAL ITS INSPIRED BY THE ARMED STRUGGLE IN PERU

TRAITOR ESPARZA PRETENDING TO BE A MARTYR

FIRST OF MAY ON THE ROAD TO THE SEIZURE OF POWER

AND IN THE COMING WEEKS - MAY 16 ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL EDITION

Containing:

- PCP: 16 Years of Victorious People's War
- The Development of Strategic Equilibrium and the Protracted People's War
- The Strategic Failure of the Peruvian Armed Forces
- Ready UP For A Great World Mobilisation in Support of People's War and the PCP
- We Must Not Allow Free Rein To Opportunists and Scoundrels Trafficking
with   the People's War

Translated and published by
Sol-Peru Committee - London
Commission for the Celebration