In re Oleachea & New Flag

Louis R Godena louisgodena at ids.net
Thu May 16 17:04:19 MDT 1996

ON MAY 16TH, "MATT D" WROTE

>Louis Godena wrote:
>
>>I felt at the time, and continue to feel, that any effort of the sort that I
>>understood us to be making--to tell the truth about the people's struggle in
>>a land unfamiliar to most of us--must be grounded firmly in an organization
>>bounded more or less within the limits of democratic centralism.
>
>Hmm.  I don't know about this.  It seems to me that our efforts should
>*first and foremost* be in accord, as best we can determine, with the
>international line established by the PCP Central Committee.  I am
>not aware that there have been any recommendations from that body
>that "democratic centralist" organizations -- much less a *single* worldwide
>"democratic centralist" organization! -- be established to direct solidarity
>work vis-a-vis the People's War.  (I feel we should respect to the best of our
>ability the direction set out by the PCP CC since they are shouldering
>the chief -- to put it mildly -- responsibility for the conduct of the war.)

I AGREE THAT OUR WORK NEEDS TO BE IN ACCORD WITH SOUND MARXIST-LENINIST
PRINCIPLES;
THAT, AS FAR AS I CAN TELL, MEANS WORKING IN A LENINIST ORGANIZATION, BASED
ON THOSE PRINCIPLES AND ADHERING TO THE DOCTRINE OF DEMOCRATIC CENTRALISM.
LENIN, REPEATEDLY,
 AND THROUGHOUT HIS POLITICAL LIFE STRESSED THAT THE INTERESTS OF THE WORLD
REVOLUTION MUST NEVER BE SUBORDINATE TO THE INTERESTS OF REVOLUTION IN  A
SINGLE COUNTRY.   THE COMINTERN, AS I AM SURE YOU ARE AWARE, WHATEVER ITS
MERITS, COMMITTED THIS ERA.   THAT WAS ITS GREAT TRAGEDY.  TO DELIBERATELY
SUBORDINATE THE  WORK OF THE WORLD REVOLUTION TO THE
REVOLUTION IN PERU, AS WORTHY AS IT IS, WOULD SURELY BE FARCE.  THE PCP IS
WAGING A STRUGGLE THAT IS AN IMPORTANT COMPONENT OF THE WORLD COMMUNIST
REVOLUTION.  IT DOES NOT LEAD THAT REVOLUTION FROM LIMA, AND, SO FAR AS I
CAN TELL, HAS EXPRESSED NO CLAIM OR INTEREST IN DOING SO.

I SUPPORT THE REVOLUTION IN PERU, PERIOD.  I DO NOT ACCEPT THE DICTATES OF
EVERY PERUVIAN I MEET WHO CLAIMS TO SPEAK FOR THE CENTRAL COMMITTEE OF THE
COMMUNIST PARTY OF PERU, ESPECIALLY WHEN THE CONDUCT OF THAT SAME PERSON
CLEARLY VIOLATES IN MY VIEW THE VERY PRINCIPLES FOR WHICH THE PCP IS
OSTENSIBLY FIGHTING.  I DO NOT ACCEPT THAT "QUISPE", WHOEVER HE IS, HAS THE
AUTHORITY TO SPEAK SOLELY FOR THE PERUVIAN REVOLUTION IN A NATION OF 260
MILLION PEOPLE.   TO BLINDLY ACCEPT WHATEVER IS GIVEN YOU BECAUSE IT
ALLEGEDLY EMANATES FROM A HIGHER AUTHORITY SEEMS TO ME TO INCORPORATE THE
WORST ELEMENTS OF AVAKIANIMS.  LET US NOT LOSE THE CAPACITY TO THINK FOR
OURSELVES.  WE SHALL BE EVEN MORE VALUABLE ALLIES TO COMMUNISM BECAUSE OF
IT.

>"Quispe's" public and personal attacks on Oleachea and Arce
>>Borja--based solely on personal bias, at best--changed all that, and, with
>>it, the nature of communist and solidarity work in our part of the world.
>
>It is interesting how folks can remember things differently, isn't it?
>
>As I recall, the origins of the dispute lie in Oleachea's rage that the MPP-
>USA would dare to raise a few very reasonable questions before affiliating
>itself to Adolpho's and Borja's so-called "World Mobilization Committee".
>The questions they raised are even more pressing since it has become
>clear that for Adolpho, at least, "affiliation" to what he clearly regards as
>his personal organization means nothing less than *subordination* to his
>dictates.  To be even more blunt, nothing Adolpho has said has done
>anything to convince me, at least, that the WMC will be anything other
>than a "RIM 2".

I DISAGREE.  I REMEMBER OLEACHEA ARGUING THIS POINT IN JANUARY.  HE SENT THE
PROPOSED
CALL TO "QUISPE" AND WAITED FOR A REPLY.  AND WAITED AND WAITED AND WAITED.
"QUISPE" NEVER
HAD ANY INTENTION OF SIGNING THAT DOCUMENT AND HE KNOWS IT.  HE HAD BEEN
ORDERED LAST JUNE BY PEOPLE IN EUROPE TO PRESERVE AT ALL COSTS THE RIM, AND
THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HE WAS DOING.  A "FEW VERY REASONABLE QUESTIONS" IS
MERELY A FIG-LEAF.  I DON'T REMEMBER OLEACHEA GIVING ME ANY "DICTATES";
PERHAPS YOU SHOULD WRITE AND ASK HIM EXACTLY WHAT THESE "DICTATES" ARE.  OR
MAYBE I WILL.

>Another problem arises with his unprincipled blocking w/ the pseudo-
>revolutionary and possible provocateur Rolph Martens.  It is one thing
>to seek support for the Peruvian struggle outside the ranks of Maoists
>or even communists.  That is necessary and appropriate, but should be
>done in a principled manner that keeps distinctions clear while focussing
>on the common goal.  The comrades at the New Flag have been exemplary
>in this practice.  It is another thing to clutch unto one's bosom any rag-
>tag scribbler, shouter, or saboteur simply because they -- honestly or
>for their own purposes? -- are willing to endorse your bid for power.

I DON'T KNOW THIS GUY ROLF MARTENS.  IT HAS NO BEARING WHATSOEVER ON MY
POSITION.
THIS IS A MATTER OF PRINCIPLE AROUND THE INDIVIDUAL KNOWN AS "QUISPE" (AMONG
SEVERAL OTHER
INCARNATIONS).  THE NEW FLAG IS ANOTHER MATTER.  IT IS BADLY IN NEED OF
REORGANIZATION, NOT BECAUSE OF ANYTHING I OR OLEACHEA OR ARCE BORJA SAY.  IT
IS SIMPLY NOT BEING COMPETENTLY
MANAGED, AND THE PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT NEW FLAG AND MAKE POSSIBLE ITS
PUBLICATION KNOW IT.

>As you know, your regard for Oleachea means a great deal to me.  Like
>the MPP-USA, I respect the contributions he has made in the past, and
>am willing to keep an open mind as to what he could contribute in the fut-
>ure.  But currently, I am sad to say, it seems he is turning his brilliant wit
>and considerable erudition to the sorry task of trafficking in the People's
>War for the furtherance of his own power and prestige.

I AM NOT SPEAKING HERE FOR OLEACHEA.  THIS IS ABOUT THE INDIVIDUAL "QUISPE"
AND HIS CASUAL PISSING AWAY OF THE WORK OF OTHERS WITHOUT A THOUGHT TO
ANYONE BUT HIMSELF.  THIS IS
ABOUT HIS ATTACKS ON THE STALIN SOCIETY, HIS RECKLESS AND DAMAGING ATTACKS
AGAINST EL DIARIO, AND HIS SUSTAINED DAMAGING OF SOLDARITY WORK HERE IN THE
UNITED STATES.
>Finally, let me say that I think the recurrent snipes against the New Flag
>comrades for clandestinity is *completely* unprincipled.  To pretend that
>their operation is not a risky enterprise only redounds to the discredit of
>their critics.

THERE IS NO QUESTION THAT CLANDESTINITY IS NECESSARY IN SOME SITUATIONS.
LENIN AND STALIN ALWAYS ADVOCATED THE "TWO HAND" POLICY IN TSARIST RUSSIA,
FOR EXAMPLE.  THEY TOOK A DIFFERENT TACK IN GERMANY IN 1919 AND HUNGARY IN
1922.  EXCESSIVE SECRECY CAN BE A COVER FOR OPPORTUNISM WHEN WORK IS HIDDEN
>FROM NOT ONLY THE MASSES BUT FROM MEMBERS WITHIN YOUR OWN ORGANIZATION.
THIS IS RCP THINKING; THE HIDING OF MISTAKES AND MISCONDUCT FROM THE WORKERS
TO PROTECT THEMSELVES, UNDER THE GUISE OF "HIDING FROM THE POLICE."  OF
COURSE SOME DISCRETION AND EVEN SECRECY IS REQUIRED, ESPECIALLY IN THE AREA
OF STRATEGY AND TACTICS.  HOWEVER, TO MAKE A CULT OF SECRECY WHILE
PUBLISHING A MAGAZINE BORDERS ON THE ABSURD.

>Comradely,

>-- Matt D.

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS, MATT D.  A CRITICAL ATTITUDE, AS I SAID, IS
NECESSARY IN ANY ORGANIZATION, FOR THEIR SAKE AS WELL AS YOUR OWN.

LOUIS GODENA