Ancient Rome and Fuedal Europe

Jorn Andersen ccc6639 at vip.cybercity.dk
Fri May 17 01:40:41 MDT 1996

Mike Dean wrote:

>     On the topic of class struggle Engels and Marx write;
>
>      "...a fight that each time ended, either in a revolutionary
> re-constitution of society at              large, or in the common ruin of
> the contending classes."
>                                               ---1848 Manifesto of the
> Communist Party
> This idea of a "common ruin" is new to me.  I have always taken for
> granted that all society gave way to a more complete society.  This possible
> ruin of both classes takes away a sense of sureness of the victory of the
> proletariat.  It is impossable for the bourgeoisie to survive, but will the
> proletariat necessaraly be the one to take over?  Though I am confident that
> the proletariat will eventually stand at the head of the state, creating the
> conditions for it's withering away, the common ruin idea is an
> intrigueing(sp) one.

Jorn:
It sure is an "intriguing" question.
I think it can be transformed to the present period if we think of
a scenario where the major powers of the world get involved in a
fatal nuclear war. This could easily result in "the common ruin of
the contending classes" - or even virtual destruction of humanity
or civilization as we know it.

This concept points to a very important part of Marxist thinking:
That history is shaped by human beings - and not by "history" itself.
In other words: Marxism is far from deterministic.

So in conclusion: The victory of the proletariat is in no way
certain - it demands a conscious struggle.

> I am confident that the proletariat will eventually stand
> at the head of the state, creating the conditions for it's
> withering away

My words.

Yours

Jorn Andersen