Questions for the PCP concerning control of the means of production

hariette spierings hariette at easynet.co.uk
Fri May 17 04:34:53 MDT 1996

>Greetings to all comrades who struggle for Justice from Wei En
>Lin.

Greeting to you too in your struggle and may a closer unity of all the
oppressed peoples arise in the world to counter and defeat imperialist
oppression and exploitation!

>Long live all those who struggle to end oppression and
>exploitations in Peru  !

And the world!

>The policy of the Partido Communisto de Peru has been clearly
>outlined as follows:
>
> "Under the leadership of the
>Central Committee, following the
>strategic plans designed by President
>Gonzalo, the PCP is developing
>the conditions for
>the strategic offensive
>through the formation of the
>New Power which is evidenced by the
>existence of thousands of People's
>Committees and Support Bases.
>The Party, the People's Army and
>the Front have demonstrated to
>be organizations superior to those
>of the reactionary regime and
>will be capable of successfully
>launching the insurrections in
>the cities towards the Conquest of Power."
>
>I would like to ask members and people with direct knowledge of
>the PCP the following questions:
>
>1.  What is the precise nature of People's Committes?

People's Committees are organs for the exercise of the People's Democratic
Dictatorship  (the New Power) and they arise as a fruit of the People's War
to run and develop the New Society. They represent the interests of the
oppressed classes in Peru, which, as in all semi-feudal and semi-colonial
societies, are as follows: proletariat, peasantry, petty bourgeoisie and
national bourgeoisie.

Chairman Gonzalo explains that the people's Committees are " concrete
manifestations of the New State.  These are United Front Committees  led by
Commissars who take up state functions as a commission. These commissars are
elected by the Representatives Assemblies and are subject to recall. Up to
now, these are clandestine organs (1983 - AO - open People's Committees have
now existed for some time) which function by means of commissions, led by
the Party by applying the policy of "three thirds", one third communists,
one third peasants, one third progressives, and they are sustain by the
(People's) Army, applying the People's Dictatorship, coertion and security,
firmly putting in practice violence for the defence of the New Power against
its enemies and to protect the People's Rights".

"The sum total of People's Committees (in a zone A.O.) constitute the Base
of Support, and the sum total of Bases of Support is the backbone serving
for the setting up of the People's Republic of New Democracy, today in
formation".

"We have passed from the stage of Conquering Bases to that of Developing
Bases which is the current political strategy.  We have to sow more and more
New Power and therefore we have to apply the 5 different types we have
established, especially TODAY WHEN CONCRETE CONDITIONS ARE STARTING TO OPEN
UP THE PERSPECTIVE OF EMBARKING UPON THE COURSE OF SEIZING POWER
COUNTRYWIDE" - All quotes are from Chairman Gonzalo - The Line of
Construction for the Three Instruments of the Revolution, Point 3. On the
construction of the New State.  From Luis Arce Borja, "People's War in Peru,
Gonzalo Though".

These People's Committees, and there are two classes of these organs of
power - open and clandestine, according to conditions (strenght of the
revolution in relation to reaction in any particular zone or area or at any
particular concrete stage of the liberation war's development) are organs of
New Democratic power in the countryside, while in the cities, the masses and
the Party have developed the specific form of Committees of Struggle, as
well as others, based on the same principles.  All these organs of power
form the system of bases of support for the People's War and for the
construction of the People's Republic of Peru which is already in formation,
existing side by side and in struggle with the old state of the ruling
classes.

These Committees have a number of commissioners (called secretaries) in
charge of the day to day economic, political and military needs (security,
production, political education, etc.) of the self government of the people.
The representativity of such Committees is as follows: One third of members
are allocated to the proletariat (the Communist Party represents the
interests of the proletariat in the rural areas), one third represent the
interests of the poor and middle peasants, and one third the interests of
the petty bourgeoisie and progressives. At present - although with the
current development of the revolution at present unfolding this is changing
already to some extent  - the National bourgeoisie is not yet fully
participating in the revolution, but their interests are protected and taken
into account.  That is what Peoples Committees look like.

As a living example of an organ of power of this type, albeit seen from the
eyes of a foreign observer, and maybe more convincing because of that - and
taking into account that this is an organ of power existing in the outskirts
of the city of Lima and not a rural one - see Simon Strong's book "Shining
Path, the World's Deadliest Revolutionary Force" where in the Epilogue a
moving description of the Raucana Committee is given.  For the rural
People's Committee's of the Open type, see the film "People of the Shining
Path" produced by Channel 4 Television in Britain.

For today, I leave the other questions for lack of time, but I do promise to
come back to them, unless of course some other person with this knowledge
takes up the rest.  I will of course, comment in any case.

Adolfo