Meaning what you say

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Sat May 18 07:08:07 MDT 1996

On Sat, 18 May 1996, Hugh Rodwell wrote:

> If the leadership of the Moratorium was won in a non-adventurist,
> non-spur-of-the-moment way, tell us about it.

Louis: The leadership of the Moratorium was won by the conscious
intervention of Marxist activists who calculated that the working-class
and students of the United States would be more interested in mass
demonstrations than lobbying efforts on behalf of doves. They participated
in Moratorium committees around the United States and argued forcefully on
behalf of direct action.

Nixon's invasion of Cambodia and the killing of student protestors at Kent
State and Jackson State convinced the Moratorium rank-and-file that an urgent
need existed to build street actions rather than to work on electing peace
candidates whose opposition to the war was merely verbal.

Hijacking was just a colorful word I used to describe the sort of
political struggle that is waged in any mass movement where
revolutionaries and reformists are contending for popular support. My point
in raising this issue was to simply illustrate that the LPA should not be
handed over to the reformists on a silver platter. If we wait on the
sidelines for an untainted LPA to come along, we would not be acting in
the spirit of the Bolshevik party which struggled on a thousand different
fronts in preparation for the final assault on Russian capitalism itself.