ZINGING THE POSTMODERNISTS

SCOTT R MCLEMEE MCLEMEE at mail.loc.gov
Sat May 18 15:06:16 MDT 1996

          Andrew  Ross's  response  to  Alan  Sokal's  hoax  is  almost  as
          hilarious as Sokal's article  in  LIBNGUA FRANCA.  But  I'd  urge
          readers who haven't done so to check that article out.  (No, this
          isn't just drumming up business for my employer).  Sokals makes a
          devestating point  that  goes beyond questions of "postmodernism"
          etc.  --  and  which  Ross signally fails  to address.   Had  the
          editors shown the manuscript to anyone competetent to  judge  the
          science, they  would  have  known  it  was bullshit.  This  makes
          Ross's dev   efense of  SOCIAL TEXT's good intentions (so cruelly
          abused by  that self-hating leftist, the hoaxster) all  the  more
          laughable when he insists that S's interest in postmodern theory,
          Lacanian topology etc "old fashioned."