How to use the Marxism list

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Mon May 20 06:45:45 MDT 1996

On Mon, 20 May 1996, Rahul Mahajan wrote:

> I'm sure I'm not alone in beginning to worry that you have too
> much sense to remain on the list much longer.

Louis: The key to useful participation in this mailing list is to think of
it as a big room where a number of conversations are going on. Some
conversations may seem pointless and stupid, while others are fascinating
and enlightening. One has to learn to not become obsessive and stand
around a conversation that is stupid. You become tempted to slap your
forehead and say to yourself, "How can somebody be so lame!"

I have learned over the past couple of years who I am interested in having
a conversation with. When I post, it is with this group in mind. Other
people who disagree with me are free to read what I am writing, but I
don't feel any particular need to challenge them.

When I dropped out of the list at the end of March, I gave some thought to
keeping up with my political cothinkers with a private list, but this is
much more convenient. Majordomo does a much better job of administering.