New societies in womb of old

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Thu May 23 13:32:38 MDT 1996

On Thu, 23 May 1996, hariette spierings wrote:

> It was no other than Chairman Mao Tse-tung, on his report to the Sixth
> Plenum of the Sixth Central Committee, October 1938.  I think that what
> Louis Proyect has said, is today, and in this conditions, much closer in
> spirit to Maoism than what some who are presently attempting to smuggle
> themselves under that name in this list and elsewhere in order to deceive
> people.

Louis: It's funny you mention this, Adolfo. I was walking across the
campus at lunch today and an identical thought popped into my head. I know
next to nothing about Mao and the Chinese Revolution, but this much is
sure. Mao was more successful than any revolutionary since Lenin in
tailoring Marxism to the local conditions he was working in. One of the
most grievous shortcomings of the Trotskyist movement that I spent over a
decade in was its dismissal of not only the thought of Mao but the
concrete developments of the CCP in its path to power.

Furthermore, the example of Mariategui must be studied. Although he died
at a much too early age, he was essentially involved in the same project:
making Marxism relevant to the masses of Peru, especially the most
oppressed layers, the indigenous people. Humanities Press in New Jersey
has just come out with an important new Collected Mariategui edition and
I've been meaning to take a look at this.