scientists and the left

Jon Beasley-Murray jpb8 at acpub.duke.edu
Thu May 23 14:10:10 MDT 1996

My general inclinations tend to be suspicious of science in all its
forms, but then I was terrible at maths at school, and am still afraid of
doctors...

But today I happen to have started a temporary job at the zoology
department here, so I may have to reconsider.

Anyhow, my question arises from the fact that Bourdieu suggests somewhere
that scientists tend to be further to the left (in terms of stated
political opinions, voting behavior, etc.) than those in the humanities.
Relatedly, Bourdieu suggests that scientists are more likely to come from
a working class background than are those from the humanities (who are in
turn less likely to be from an high class background than are those in
professional schools: law, medecine etc., though this seems obvious).

Does anyone know of studies that confirm or refute this thesis of working
class, politically left scientists?

Take care

Jon

Jon Beasley-Murray