MIM on sex

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 24 14:12:44 MDT 1996

A deeply bizarre item from, of all places, The Nation (June 10, 1996, p. 7):

<quote>
"Correction. On page 11 of MIM Notes 108 (January 1996) we wrote that 'MIM
[Maoist International Movement] requires forever monogamy of our members.'
This is incorrect. MIM upholds asexuality as the most advanced sexual
practice under capitalism. We also have policies regarding divorce for
spousal abuse." - MIM Notes 109 (February 1996).
<endquote>

Now as I understand it the RCP/Avakianite line is that homosex is a product
of capitalist decadence, so same-sexers should not be persecuted for
exhibiting a systemic disease, but come the revolution their twisted
desires will be made straight. Does this MIM pronunciamento mean that
sexual desire itself is a twisted product of capitalism? And what about Mao
himself and all his teen tail?

Doug

--

Doug Henwood