Clinton's Contract with America

Bryan N. Alexander bnalexan at umich.edu
Sun May 26 11:15:20 MDT 1996

And:

On Fri, 24 May 1996, Nathan Newman wrote:

> Actually, I am getting to like Clinton, if only because it's fun watching
> Newt and Dole getting outmaneuvered and shut down.  Clinton gets accused
> of being a sellout but:
> As opposed to rhetoric (where he does promote a centrist version), his
> actions have been solid liberal, even if not as liberal-left as I would

solid liberal?  Maintaining Bush's foreign policy and the defense
establishment, for example?

> like in all cases.  His worst crimes have been support of NAFTA and the
> anti-terrorism bill, but since we would get those plus massive cuts in

Pretty huge "but" there.  Aside from being a corporate stooge and
authoritarian, he's a nice guy!

> Medicaid, welfare, nutrition programs and anti-labor legislation with
> Dole, the choice for President is pretty clear.

Aside from your joining in a silly game of Tweedle1+2, that is.

> So Clinton apology given :)

And received.

> --Nathan
>
> On Fri, 24 May 1996, Louis N Proyect wrote:
>
> > >From dhenwood at panix.com Fri May 24 12:05:16 1996
> > Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 11:14:04 -0500
> > From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> > Subject: evil of two lessers
> >
> > Savor this, Clinton apologists. From Paul Gigot's column in today's (May
> > 24) Wall Street Journal (Gigot is quite right-wing, for those who don't
> > read him):
> >
> > "Lately, Mr. Clinton has been moving so fast to the right that he's beating
> > Mr. Dole to the spot. He declared his opposition to same-sex marriage
> > before the Kansan could make it an issue. Then, lest Mr. Dole find even an
> > inch of running room, the president pre-emptively endorsed a GOP bill to
> > allow other states to ignore the Constitution's Full Faith and Credit
> > clause and reject Hawaii's looming endorsement of gay marriage. Who needs
> > the Christian Coalition when Bill Clinton is around.
> > [...]
> > [D]on't look for Mr. Clinton actually to defend federal welfare. Instead
> > he's taking credit for reforms by GOP governors that are more radical than
> > anything his own advisors favor. The official White House line this week is
> > that there's no difference between Bob Dole and Bill Clinton on welfare!
> > [...]
> > [C]onfident liberals might ponder how difficult it would be for Mr. Clinton
> > to govern as a liberal after he's campaigned, in essence, for a kinder,
> > gentler Contract With America."
> >
> > Doug
> >
> > --
> >
> > Doug Henwood
> > Left Business Observer
> > 250 W 85 St
> > New York NY 10024-3217
> > USA
> > +1-212-874-4020 voice
> > +1-212-874-3137 fax
> > email: <dhenwood at panix.com>
> > web: <http://www.panix.com/~dhenwood/LBO_home.html>
> >

> >      --- from list marxism at lists.village.virginia.edu ---

Bryan Alexander					Department of English
email: bnalexan at umich.edu			University of Michigan
phone: (313) 764-0418				Ann Arbor, MI  USA    48103
fax: (313) 763-3128				http://www.umich.edu/~bnalexan