Pessimism of the Intellect, and the Optimism of the Will

Rahul Mahajan Rahul.Mahajan at p991.f109.n900.z4.fidonet.org
Sun May 26 05:43:13 MDT 1996

From: rahul at peaches.ph.utexas.edu (Rahul Mahajan)
Subject: Re: Pessimism of the Intellect, and the Optimism of the Will

I like the phrase anyway. What Callinicos says seems superficially
reasonable, but I think we all know in practice, as opposed to in words,
that a little "voluntarism" is absolutely crucial. The self-organization of
the working class is not something that will happen independent of the
development of working class consciousness, and it's not even inevitable.
Even the history of the last 80 years makes it seem rather highly evitable,
and often easily reversible when it happens.

Rahul